Sofnolime or Intersorb Availability and Prices?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@macado I had no idea you were on the Dram of Diving with Kevin.
Haha. I didnt either. That was the first time I met Kevin. Small world.

As many rebreather divers are aware, there was a widespread lack of availability of Sofnolime 797 (aka 8-12 mesh) absorbent in the US during the summer of 2022. This was caused by the sale of Molecular Products and the parent company changing their distribution strategy, that resulted in a domestic US stock-out of Sofnolime from their Texas 3PL warehouse combined with severe disruption of supply chain logistics for sea freight from the UK to the US. As of Friday 2-Sep-2022, we now have plenty of inventory on Sofnolime 797 NI in 20 Kg kegs and are shipping orders same business day. There has been a substantial retail price increase. Although the raw cost of the material itself has of course increased, the retail price of Sofnolime in the US is primarily determined by the cost of supply chain logistics and distribution. Thus the retail price is expected to fluctuate (and hopefully improve when the egregious costs of containerized sea freight and OTR transport eventually normalize.) To see our current price, visit Sofnolime 797 CO2 Absorbent 8-12 Mesh Granules, Non-Indicating {44 lb | 20 kg} Keg

Wow, a 20kg/44lb keg for $209.00 [GB £217.78]

For once the UK's a lot cheaper: £83.00 (£69.17 ex. VAT) = <$100

Think I need to buy a few more before it goes up.

Wow, a 20kg/44lb keg for $209.00 [GB £217.78]

For once the UK's a lot cheaper: £83.00 (£69.17 ex. VAT) = <$100

Think I need to buy a few more before it goes up.

Three things are at work to explain... A change in ownership of MolProd has resulted in an reorganization of the US office and logistics (they apparently no longer warehouse Sofnolime in the US) as well as the inevitable price increases, but also in the US there is a distributor middle man for Sofnolime for recreational diving applications and finally this year (as nearly every retailer in America has experienced) the supply chain logistics have been brutal. Not just the egregiously skyrocketing costs of sea freight and drayage, but the transport delays... shipboard container availability, container ship availability itself, availability of dock workers.... even the availability of truck drivers!

Sorb retail has always been roughly double what you see in the UK, but now it looks like triple (ex. VAT) although I suspect you are correct the UK price will "catch up" at least some. Ironically, here in the US, rebreather absorbent is typically sold for near landed cost by dive retailers - similar to aluminum 80 cylinders, so many local dive shops don't want to bother with it because it's not profitable. However, it's possible some of our supply chain costs will improve later. The good news is that our absorbent pipeline is now quite full in the US, and there is no reason to be at all concerned about availability. This stuff is not toilet paper and so we recommend only buying what you need, no reason to hoard.

@DiveGearExpress

Do you know which UK port the sorb comes out of? There was an 8 day strike at Felixstowe, which really gummed things up (I’m a customs broker/do freight forwarding).

@DiveGearExpress

Do you know which UK port the sorb comes out of? There was an 8 day strike at Felixstowe, which really gummed things up (I’m a customs broker/do freight forwarding).
I'm sorry I don't... I know the SNAFU was months long... it was sitting in containers in the US for much of August alone waiting for offload and customs clearance.

I'm sorry I don't... I know the SNAFU was months long... it was sitting in containers in the US for much of August alone.
The US east coast is backed up bad. A few weeks ago there were 40 ships at anchor off Savannah.

I need to apologise to you all as Brexit caused the world-wide supply chain to gum up. Well, according to what the Remainiac/Rejoiniac supporters keep telling us. (British politics is still riven over this)

DGX has Sofno in stock. The price bites.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom