soda lime

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use spherasorb since two years. I had never any problems with this kind of scrubber. It contains fewer dust and is cheaper then divesorb (here in Germany) and the 1kg packing are very handy.
Regrads
noeck

If you are in South East Asia, and in particular the Singapore area, I have a large stock of Draeger DiveSorb for sale at reasonable prices. We are a rebreather centre with many units for training and rental. Before Draeger decided to screw everyone one we were exclusive distributors in Indonesia and China. We offer a full service centre and training and rental facilities for interested rebreather divers and potential rebreather divers.

If you need Draeger DiveSorb then give me a return e-mail and we can get your order out within 24hrs.

Hi,

I may be able to help. Divers Supply, a commercial diving supply company near New Orleans, Louisiana, sells HP (or high performance) SodaSorb. It is specially formulated for diving applications. They sell 40lb plastic drums for $59.95. You still have to pay for shipping, but for me at least, it is still cheaper than Divesorb. Their website is: www.diverssupplyinc.com and their toll-free number is: 888-221-8120

I also highly recommend Jeff Bozanic's new book: "Mastering Rebreathers" published by Best Publishing Company (www.bestpub.com). It has an excellent section about CO2 absorbents used for diving.

John Bennett
Columbus, Ohio

I run a medical supply company, so I will look into the cost from my end as well. But it will be a few days away, as it's a long weekend - diving the Rainbow Warrior and other stuff - weather dependent !!!

I should have some idea next week

As a sodalime manufacturer, we would not recommend the use of medical grade sodalime for diving applications. The granular size of medical grade material is larger than that for diving grade, hence reduced duration. Also the dye content is usually much higher and the user may experience problems with relatively high levels of ammonia. This was the reason the US Navy stopped using sodalimes with the (ethyl violet) dye. The medical grades will absorb CO2 but will not be as efficient as the diving grades, especially the spherical sodalime, which has a capacity some 30% less than the irregular granular material.

I would strongly recommend against the use of Baralyme in a rebreather due to the use of barium hydroxide, a very strong alkali. A "caustic cocktail" with barium hydroxide would not be a pleasant experience.

The grade or size of sodalime to be used does depend on the type of rebreather being used. The AP Valves (Buddy) Inspiration recommends 1.0to2.5mm (8-12 mesh), as does Carleton and most of the other high-end manufacturers. Draeger equipment has to use 2.0to5.0mm sodalime due to the design of the scrubber canister.

Some of our distributors are as follows:
UK - AP Valves (Ambient Pressure Diving) +44 1326 561040
US - OC Lugo +1 845 708 7080
Australia - Chem-Supply - +61 (8) 8440 2000

If you need a supplier in another country then please contact me.

Ian
sometimes when I dump my Sofnolime after @180 minn ,I get a strong ammonia smell ????????????

Any info would be great

Al

Hi Al,

A strong ammonia smell is undoubtedly caused by indicator dye, as it is the only possible source of ammonia in soda lime. The dye, ethyl violet, is an amine, or an ammonia derivative.

In sodalime dye is their as an indication only. It is not an accurate representation of usage nor is it a permanent colour change. Medical grade soda limes tend to have a higher dye content and therefore increase the potential for the ammonia smell.

You need to ask yourself whether you actually need the indicator dye. Most navies that operate rebreathers now specify non indicating grades especially because of the problems caused by ammonia.

I have an interesting paper, in acrobat format, issued by the Naval Medical Research Institute titled "Chemical Safety of US Naval Fleet Soda Lime", which fully explains the US Navy's experience and their solution. I will happily send to you by e-mail if required.

Best Regards

Ian

Carlson:
If you are in South East Asia, and in particular the Singapore area, I have a large stock of Draeger DiveSorb for sale at reasonable prices. We are a rebreather centre with many units for training and rental. Before Draeger decided to screw everyone one we were exclusive distributors in Indonesia and China. We offer a full service centre and training and rental facilities for interested rebreather divers and potential rebreather divers.

If you need Draeger DiveSorb then give me a return e-mail and we can get your order out within 24hrs.

Hi I am from Singapore. Where is your location if I want to get Divesorb from you?

On easy dives I use Medisorb, which is cheap as chips (but admittedly less tasty). It is medical-grade soda lime, which can be used for diving with some conservatism. On more demanding dives I use Drager DiveSorb Pro.

Cheers,

Pawel

Back
Top Bottom