Trip Report Socorro Real Time Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

COLD! It was 73F. After 13 dives in cold water like this with 5mm wetsuit, I start to shiver and had to fin around. The windy day wasn’t helping the visibility too. We saw dust gusting down from the top of San Benedicto and mucking up the water. Visibility dropped to 40 ft at best. So, bring your 7mm wetsuit.

The cleaning station always had some actions. We saw 4-5 Silvertips, 1-2 Galápagos & Hammerhead Sharks just cruising around the sensor ball. At the last dive we saw a silhouette of a Tiger Shark.

You don’t want to miss this spot when you are here. Make sure to be there first before the rest of the divers bubbles scare the Sharks away. Just hang out around the edge of the cleaning station, 10-15 foot radius away from the sensor ball, not on top of it or you scare the cleaner fish & the Sharks. I’ll post the video of the close encounter with those Sharks there later when I am back home.

Brrrr. I add a Sharkskin Chillproof Hooded Vest underneath my 5mm when temps get into the low to mid 70s. It helps immensely! It's also windproof so it helps cut down on adiabatic cooling as well. That and a full-length boat coat do wonders!

Reactions: Dan
Brrrr. I add a Sharkskin Chillproof Hooded Vest underneath my 5mm when temps get into the low to mid 70s. It helps immensely! It's also windproof so it helps cut down on adiabatic cooling as well. That and a full-length boat coat do wonders!
Thanks for the tips. I’ll get on of those for my next trip.

COLD! It was 73F. After 13 dives in cold water like this with 5mm wetsuit, I start to shiver and had to fin around. The windy day wasn’t helping the visibility too. We saw dust gusting down from the top of San Benedicto and mucking up the water. Visibility dropped to 40 ft at best. So, bring your 7mm wetsuit.

The cleaning station always had some actions. We saw 4-5 Silvertips, 1-2 Galápagos & Hammerhead Sharks just cruising around the sensor ball. At the last dive we saw a silhouette of a Tiger Shark.

You don’t want to miss this spot when you are here. Make sure to be there first before the rest of the divers bubbles scare the Sharks away. Just hang out around the edge of the cleaning station, 10-15 foot radius away from the sensor ball, not on top of it or you scare the cleaner fish & the Sharks. I’ll post the video of the close encounter with those Sharks there later when I am back home.
Celina pointed at where the cleaning station is.

36135860-7E14-47BA-B06A-C90615B906F5.jpeg

After a rough ride (rocking & rolling, loose stuff falling off the shelf, scattering on the floor kind of ride), we were back to Cabo San Lucas bay around 2:30am and had a couple hours rest. We had hot breakfast around 7:30am.

After breakfast, a nurse from Saint Luke came at 7:50am to give us a Antigen swab test before we are embarking the boat around 8:30am.

Some of us are heading straight to the airport. The rest of us would be checking in See Creatures for our next adventure.

After a rough ride (rocking & rolling, loose stuff falling off the shelf, scattering on the floor kind of ride),
Eric asked Jessica if last night’s seas were typical for the way back. She hesitated a bit then admitted it was the roughest ride she has had aboard. Later the captain said that at about 11:30 pm there was such a vibration on the hull he actually looked over the rail into the water. He knew we hadn’t hit a whale but he still looked just to be sure :shocked:

Reactions: Dan
We (a group of 4) booked for a 2-tank boat dive in Cabo Pulmo ($225), using the $375 credit that Nautilus gave us as a compensation for the increased Marine Park fee from $25/yr to $75/day. We specifically booked few weeks before the trip for the morning dive as some of us would have noon flight home on the next day. Upon returning from Socorro, See Creatures have changed the Cabo Pulmo trip to the afternoon, which would not be possible. We wanted to cancel the trip, but they managed to work out a deal with the dive shop in Cabo Pulmo to do the morning dive there. We would leave at 6:45 am tomorrow for 2 hour van ride to Cabo Pulmo. We’ll see if the 4-hour roundtrip ride to do the 2 morning dives there worth the hassle.

Guess what? We were ready in the lobby at 6:45am for the transportation to Cabo Pulmo, but no transportation to pick us up. After a few phone calls & text messages back & forth with See Creatures and waiting for another hour for alternate transportation, some of us just gave up on this trip due to early flight tomorrow. So we were down to 2, me & my dive buddy since our flight home would be on Saturday, the 22nd.

Mariano of See Creatures came to the lobby to assist us further on the transportation problem. We finally got the transportation 2 hours later, at 8:45am.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom