Socorro Liveaboard Grounding

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been on alot of LOBs all over the world from budget to high end, I've even been on Pacific Fleets other ship Solmar V, twice.The fact that we put our lives in so many others hands seen and unseen when we venture out on a LOB could make me reticent...and even fearful. To have a ship run aground on auto pilot is extremely negligent, and downright just plain stupid, that's what get's to me the most. One person falling asleep can mean the lives of many.

Think I'll just keep on going on them, have a ditch bag and hope that when my time comes it's not cause some blockhead couldn't stay awake.

Something I find very disturbing is the lack of transparency from Pacific Fleet. Their website still lists the Vortex as a ship you can take, and there is only a tiny link to "Vortex Update" that you can click on to be told that they are hoping for an insurance resolution "in the next two weeks" (the update was posted in May). I did the Solmar V back in January, and would have given it a "fine" rating--the crew were great but the boat was old and my interaction was the company was pretty poor. The lack of any form of specific statement from the company (even a "we have updated our security and night watch protocols" is missing) is pretty messed up...

It is sad to read about Votex, I was on that boat in December 2021, fine boat, actually probably the finest metal LOB I have ever been on, super nicely outfitted. I was on the bridge - very well equipped in the latest gear. I was also on Solmar V years ago, this was nice boat too but much less room per passenger, Vortex was very, very spacious. I would like to be getting updates about this boat. It is double sad because I was always citing Vortex as an example what LOBs should be like.

It is sad to read about Votex, I was on that boat in December 2021, fine boat, actually probably the finest metal LOB I have ever been on, super nicely outfitted. I was on the bridge - very well equipped in the latest gear. I was also on Solmar V years ago, this was nice boat too but much less room per passenger, Vortex was very, very spacious. I would like to be getting updates about this boat. It is double sad because I was always citing Vortex as an example what LOBs should be like.
I guess you haven’t been on Nautilus Belle Amie.

It was genuinely awful. It is completely different to how its shown on the videos and websites.

The staff was great and so was the food, but there was one massive issue that completely rips off the whole experience: the actual ship.

The ship wasn't made to be a dive ship, it was retrofit. Story has it that the wife of the owner, which is not a naval architect, did the refurbishment. Not only did she add extremely heavy furnishings on the main deck, but she had the absolutely insane idea of building a suite on the added 2rd deck. You will see this on their website.

As if that wasn't enough, they put a jacuzzi on the 3rd and final deck.

You don't need to be a physicist to realise that with all that extra weight at the top, even without filling the jacuzzi (think it would add 4 tonnes), the boat is completely unstable. And I mean COMPLETELY. The smallest rocking of waves would feel like the boat was about to capsize, cutlery and plates flying every meal, the habitants of the suite being thrown out of their shower and onto the floor... then you look out the window expecting a huricane and its calm seas and sunny...

it was crazy. from the water we would see the vortex and another boat, I think the solmar. Ours looked as if it had a 20 tonne pendulum attached at the top, like those things that swing with a giant ball in the middle.

The crew was continuously apologetic about it.

I would never set foot on it again, feel ripped off about the price I paid, but will return to Soccorro to dive as soon as possible. it is hands down some of the best diving I have ever had.
☝️ @Palawan comment about Vorrtex when he was asked about the boat:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom