So what is NOT covered in open water cert that should be?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Inflator drills are required in most agencies - if you werent taught chances are the instructor broke standards.

As open water level is meant to be a very basic introduction all id like to see added to the padi syllabus at least is basic buddy rescue (in other words, controlled buoyant lift).

Better idea of gas planning would be nice too. "back with 50 bar" doesnt cut it.

RonFrank:
I'm not sure who the OP certified with, but the fact that she is not aware of what to do if an inflater hose is free flowing indicates either the agency she certified with is not covering that (doubtful, as I KNOW PADI, and NAUI both do, and I'm betting SSI as well), or she did not read or retain the material.

I got certified through SDI

In my class, my class---I cannot speak for all SDI classes or instructors worldwide, but in my class, a stuck inflator was not covered PERIOD----EVER---NOT ONCE---NOT TALKED ABOUT----NOT PRACTICED IN THE POOL---NOT DONE IN OPEN WATER. I did not retain it, because I was not taught about such and event.

It did not occur to me about how to deal with such an event until I read about it here on scuba board. We talked about and practiced a free flowing regulator, but never inflator hose.

As far as tables go, SDI spends about 5 minutes on them and then says--use and read your computer--it is better and you will be fine. I am currently doing table work on my own and using the free table tutor from Scuba Toys.

The Horn:
This course to me would then be a resort Intro to Scuba. No Certification just enough training and practice to complete some resort style or local area dives, to test the waters and see if a full blown course is on the agenda.

Obviously a lot of divers are dissapointed with the current course(s) content.

Call it what you will but it doesn't help the discussion to conflate the Discover Scuba program with the Open Water Diver course.

I'm not arguing that divers won't be happier, safer and get more out of diving by getting training beyond OW - just that OW, as it is structured, is sufficient to meet its stated objectives: to allow people to have some fun and to safely plan and and execute some simple dives with a buddy and without the supervision of a dive pro. Disappointed or not, discovering that you want more training isn't the same thing as saying the training you got was inadequate. If I'd gone through OW and hadn't learned to unhook an LP inflator or how to plan a dive so that I could get back to shore with at least 500 psi in my tank, I'd be pretty upset but I'd be directing my frustrations at my instructor because the class is supposed to provide these skills.

The genius of the modern instructional programs is that the learning is broken down into bite-sized pieces that can be more comfortably swallowed. If you think that the first bite wasn't filling enough, a better solution than grousing about the small portions is to go back for seconds - and thirds - and fourths. It's a big banquet and it's full of a wide variety of succulent treats, some you'll be interested in and some you won't. So long as you're willing to commit the time and money the feast need never end.

For what it's worth, I'm a big believer in more training and I consider the dividing line between guppies and scuba divers to be completion of Rescue - everyone should have that as a goal. It's just that the modern way of getting that training, at the students convenience, in manageable portions, is better than the old days.

Be safe. Have fun. Nothing else matters.

Always an interesting subject for discussion when it's brought up again here, but I got to agree with this...
reefraff:
Nothing.

The entry level courses are designed to be exactly that: entry level. They teach only enough skills to make it possible for a diver to plan and execute a simple, shallow dive with a buddy in conditions equal to or better than they were trained in.

If anything, I'd like to see better mastery of the skills that are being taught before adding more skills, i.e., your OW course should have covered both disconnecting a power inflator and freeing yourself from entanglements. Adding more skills to the curriculum before the current skills sets are actually being mastered seems needlessly confusing.

Safety and fun are not compromised by teaching divers only the basics and turning them loose to have a good time. Divers that want to learn more skills have lots of opportunities to do so, those whose aspirations don't exceed an occasional vacation reef dive have no need to learn how to shoot a bag, calculate DOTF or blow bubble rings.
That really covers if for the Vacation diver - all that most are looking to be.

I'd like to see AOW improved greatly with PADI, since they certify more than any other, and strong encouragement to pursue extended training with Nitrox & Aow soon after OW for the seriously interested diver.:crafty:

Maybe what needs to be done is to have 2 designations of OW - VOW and LOW. Vacation Open Water Diver and Local Open Water Diver. :D

I agree with reefraff...to a certain extent. Almost so much can be taught AND retained. That's why there is con ed. But with that should come added requirements.

Leah, what happened in your class was probably a standards violation. I'm not an SDI instructor, but inflator disconnect is a basic skill. PADI has the student do it on the surface. I explain to the student when and why an inflator hose would have to be disconnected.

I also teach buoyancy, something that is overlooked by far too many instructors.

I also believe gas management should be a part of OW classes - SAC, RMV, rock bottom - and I teach it. I don't go into the detail that it deserves, but I do provide basic examples so that they won't just go out there and "make sure they're back on the boat with 500psi"! I teach them when to turn the dive.

As for the added requirements beyond OW - I believe if a dive op is going to require something, like carrying a pony bottle or SMB, then they should ensure the diver is trained to use those. How many divers out there carry SMBs without ever having deployed one? Yet dive ops will require them on their boats. What good will they do the diver if they have no idea how to use them? :confused:

I think lack of any real gas planning is the most glaring omission in PADI OW and AOW. Some mention of proper trim would be nice too.

Meister481:
Very true! I guess that's the reason I'm going to stop at DM. I'm a little hesitant to send people trained in a quarry out into the ocean or great lakes without some additional help.

Thats like saying a Driver instructor shouldn't send people out on the interstate. As an Instructor, you train the students to the level of the course they are taking, whether it be OW, AOW or higher. You can recommend further traing and encourage it. One of the most important things that should be taught in OW class is the realities of Diving. It is an adventure sport and there is a certain level of risk involved in diving in a hostile environment. As a Dive Instructor the most important thing to teach is that a OW course in a classroom is no substitute for ongoing training and accumulated experience.

leah:
My list so far:
Dealing with stuck inflator
Carrying cutting devices and freeing oneself from an underwater entanglement (I tied myself up on accident after OW and shared it on a thread here.

Disconnecting and reconnecting a inflator hose is definitly covered in PADI OW manual, and is a required skill.

leah:
As far as tables go, SDI spends about 5 minutes on them and then says--use and read your computer--it is better and you will be fine. I am currently doing table work on my own and using the free table tutor from Scuba Toys.

This isn't the first time I've heard that about SDI training. Two of my friends who were certified in Hawaii by SDI didn't even know what the tables looked like! Yow!

I'm not arguing that divers won't be happier, safer and get more out of diving by getting training beyond OW - just that OW, as it is structured, is sufficient to meet its stated objectives: to allow people to have some fun and to safely plan and and execute some simple dives with a buddy and without the supervision of a dive pro. Disappointed or not, discovering that you want more training isn't the same thing as saying the training you got was inadequate. If I'd gone through OW and hadn't learned to unhook an LP inflator or how to plan a dive so that I could get back to shore with at least 500 psi in my tank, I'd be pretty upset but I'd be directing my frustrations at my instructor because the class is supposed to provide these skills.

I spend alot of time researching, reading, practicing and I dive with a really skilled buddy. In my early diving we did crazy things like back rolling out of a speeding zodiac and swiming around at 80 feet looking for stuff. That was the crazy days when you felt like you would never die. That was then and this is now. I did learn alot from the days of stupidity!

Your right, people want as much as they can for free. That can include everything from the pratice, study and formal training. Some thrive in the structure of a system of courses others will choose to go it on thier own. Back grounds and education differ as do skill sets, talent etc. For some it will just be natural and others will struggle forever.

For the diving I was doing and some I probably shouldn't have attempted OW was it, hadn't heard of "TECH" diving at the time, drysuit training?? what was that, throw it on and off you go. AOW training was there but not looked upon as "necessary" just practice and learn from your experiences. If your gear did not work you tore it apart bought the parts and put it back together. Liability? what was that.

Like the first five years of your life OW should provide you with the basic skills of diving that if practiced you will develop into a fine diver...some things will be left out, you gotta get out there and figure it out either by experience or/and training.......

Back
Top Bottom