So what is NOT covered in open water cert that should be?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leah,

I suspect that individual instructors and the location of courses have quite an influence on what is taught, and whether something is passed over quickly or actually drilled in. For example, no time was spent on my OW course on surf entries, but there are many areas where I suspect that it would be a basic component. Conversely, I took my OW dives in 45*F water wearing double layers of 7mm, something they probably don't dwell on during courses given in the Caymans.:D

In the spirit of what you're seeking, however, one skill that I believe should be taught during OW is how to shoot an SMB. I've learned through trial and error, and looking at some of the videos on the net, but would have appreciated some good instruction.

I also think that some discussion on the pros and cons of different types of BCD's and BP/W's should have been included. The course instructors and assistants all wore BCD's during the pool sessions, but all wore BP/W for the OW dives. At no time was there any talk about their differences, let alone why the instructors all opted for their universal choice.

I don't want to start yet another debate on the merits of computers versus tables, but with the increasing percentage of even new divers using computers, I believe that it's time that they too were at least discussed during OW training. I bought mine right after completing OW, and wouldn't dive without it, but as with the SMB, I'm self-taught.

Hope this short list is useful, Leah. Merry Christmas!

OK Leah,

-Boat Etiquette- big pet peeve of mine.
-better instruction on the effects of different compressed gasses on divers
-deploying emergency equipment (sausages, mirrors, whistles, floats, smb's)
-Dive planning- including gas management and how to establish your sac rate and extrapolate how much gas you will use.
-have buoyancy expectations before the diver can pass the course

It's a fantasy to think this would ever happen in an OW class. It would be prohibitively expensive.

Meister481:
OK Leah,

-Dive planning- including gas management and how to establish your sac rate and extrapolate how much gas you will use.

It's a fantasy to think this would ever happen in an OW class. It would be prohibitively expensive.
What Meister said, except for the part on boat etiquette. Many places that run OW courses are exclusively on shore with no/limited access to boats. I agree that it is required, but not on an OW course (and not a distinctive specialty requirement costing more $$$ for a useless card)

I'd just want to see a single paragraph stating the obvious, keep gear neat and secure, the diver that is geared up has right of way, be ready to stage entries, don't crowd the ladder, be nice or be thrown overboard, puke on the leeward side, try and return to the same spot you got up from, don't use the camera bucket water to rinse anything but cameras and a couple other things I can't remember right now.

When our club has an event that requires a boat we generally have a meeting to cover these things, but not always.

Meister481:
Then PADI would lose out on a boat diving specialty. I dont know whats involved in a boat diving specialty but I think anyone who spends time on a boat should do a boat course. The coast guard do a couple of good courses here.

Meister481:
This should be left to a nitrox class. OW is all about air. So there is not much point teaching about nitox or trimix.

Meister481:
Agree 100%. But these are not usually taught even in AOW or deep specialtys:shakehead

What sort of class time/pool time/dive time are we talking about??

I had about 6, 4 hour class sessions? Lots of pool time, tread water for 5 minutes, swim lengths under water, above water, with fins without etc and then the OW dives.

Instruction should include basic familiarity with different gear configurations, drysuits, wetsuits, BCD's BP/W's etc etc

Basic decompression theroy covering effects on the body, air embolisms etc symtom recognition etc basic self help if you exceed tables

Hypothermia, Altitude issues, deep diving issues (see above). Basic boat diving, shore diving and drift diving, night diving techniques.

Proper use of dive flags, markers, safety systems such as Coast Guard, EMS etc

Hyperbaric chamber use and local #'s

skills: snorkle techniques, mask clearing, donning-doffing gear, assembling gear
finning techniques, bouyancy, adjusting, maintaining and setting up proper weighting.

gear maintenance, use of proper lubricants, nitrox considerations, storage, regulator construction and operation. Tanks and tank valves, vis tecniques and hydro testing, eddy current testing Why when how etc

Wreck diving considerations, heritage preservation, responsible diving, laws regarding diving, salvage etc

Self rescue, calming and breathing techniques, doubles, pony bottle considerations, diving with a buddy, buddy breathing, gas managment

Gas laws and how they affect diving, discussions on saturation and decompression diving, Nitrox cert, triox use

and it goes on......Probably forgot alot but its a start

Wrap OW, AOW and Rescue into one course as it was. For those who wish to dive at a vacation spot teach the basic OW course and dive when your at the place under instructor supervision.

Have a course that is all inclusive for those that wish to take it. Would also like to see some log book credit???

use of tables, computers, log books
history of diving and dive medicine

Packhorse:
This should be left to a nitrox class. OW is all about air. So there is not much point teaching about nitox or trimix.

You can oxtox on air, I didn't know that until I took nitrox. Just a brief intro into nitrox would be nice, it could possibly sell the nitrox specialty class in any case. This would also give them an overview of the gasses they might see.

Knowledge is power!

Emergency equipment was covered in OW when I went through it...The information is in the PADI course materials.

Same with gas management and sac rate information. I don't think it's covered in detail, but the basics are there.

Bouyancy is a required skill for both courses of instruction I believe. Detailed bouyancy control is not covered (like in the PADI bouyancy course), but the basics are there, and demonstrating the ability to neutralize yourself are part of the OW course.

Meister481:
You can oxtox on air, I didn't know that until I took nitrox. Just a brief intro into nitrox would be nice, it could possibly sell the nitrox specialty class in any case. This would also give them an overview of the gasses they might see.

Knowledge is power!

Not in 60ft of water which is the OW limit nd not in 130 ft of water which is the rec limit.
But yes oxtox should be covered, but not multi gases.
I would like to see advanced nitrox and entry trimix become one course though

Back
Top Bottom