So This is a Surprise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can imagine. I've never been to Cozumel and don't have plans to go. Definitely not with the cruise ships starting up again given those numbers.
Really, it's not that big of a deal; they have the places they go, and the places I go are elsewhere. I have been on the island when there were 7 cruise ships in port and it affected me not at all. Many cruseros don't even get off the boat.

Hi my name is Jay, and I'm a recovering....gulp....cruiser. I realized I had a problem when we took our first dive trip to Cozumel...on a cruise ship. The first back roll into blue water was my bottom and I have been wet since 2014..... We now fly to dive destinations and spend a week diving wherever we go. The group responds..."Hi, Jay."

Hi, Jay. I love you, man.

Meh. Stay behind the tourist zone. Leave early come back late. The cruisers typically stick to Senior Frogs and Hooters.

The diving is well worth it.

Really, it's not that big of a deal; they have the places they go, and the places I go are elsewhere. I have been on the island when there were 7 cruise ships in port and it affected me not at all. Many cruseros don't even get off the boat.

Yep.
Easy to avoid them.
I'm only aware of them, (the ships and their contents), when we're on the way to the marina from our centro Airbnb and dive shop.

You don’t have to love the cruise Industry to love their stock from last May :)
I agree with famous author Jay, it’s a necessary evil.

4th Cozumel Cruise Dock is Setback with Opposition

Local opposition to protect the coral reefs. Woo Hoo!
But at the end of the article there is this:

Although the efforts from the environmental group have received widespread support through social media efforts, it seems unlikely the efforts will pay off. The dock has a huge support base politically and economically, which during these times seem unlikely to be changed.

I had dinner with a well connected expat on the island when I was recently on the island; she told me that in her opinion the new pier will likely be built but making Cozumel a home port is a dead issue.

Jay - too funny!

And aww man busted... I am NOT a cruiser but I really like Thirsty Cougar - when ships are not in port! Their regular margaritas are tasty (not the frozen ones....) and its a nice spot on the water.

Does that make me a cruiser-lite? oh nos....

I am NOT a cruiser but I really like Thirsty Cougar - when ships are not in port! Their regular margaritas are tasty (not the frozen ones....) and its a nice spot on the water.

Zactly one of the reasons why I like to stay at the Suites Bahia. The Cougar sometimes has good live music also. Not far to walk 'home' :thumb:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom