So much for streamlined

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an AVM-1 similar to this....
3 mm full suit, maybe a small horse collar...
Doesn't get much more streamlined.
Throw in a farallon scooter. Wow it it ever fun. And simple
20210914_100814.jpg

I have an AVM-1 similar to this....
3 mm full suit, maybe a small horse collar...
Doesn't get much more streamlined.
Throw in a farallon scooter. Wow it it ever fun. And simple View attachment 681883

I think I had a GI Joe doll with that exact same rig.

If you want weight out of pockets you may consider a v weight, can get 5 to 10 lbs out of pockets and have it streamlined centerline in your backplate. That combined with tank band weights can help a lots

Brother, I just got setup with this as an all around travel and local use BP. If I went and got another BP it will need to come with a divorce attorney.
There simply isn't a one size fits all for warm and cold water diving without compromises.

I do hear you on maintaining marital bliss.

Ditch the storage pocket, replace with pocket shorts.
Someone mentioned a weight belt; just be aware that if you wear it over the harness, it sits too low and sucks. If you wear it under the harness, it is effectively not a quick ditch item anymore. I personally don't mind weight pockets on the waist band, but they do tend to take up all the real estate. I have little 5-6 lb max travel pockets, which are also not really a quick ditch item.

I've always been intrigued by one of these (not necessarily this brand). I've never used one though.

OMS Backplate Pad w/ Weight Pockets

I don't really dive singles or 7mm anymore so no need for a lot of weight. When I did I had the giant weight pouches like you have. What a pain on the butt.

For warm water weight integration there are these for the cambands:

Quick-Attach Single Weight Pocket — XS Scuba - Everything For The Perfect Dive

And these small QR pouches for the waist belt, tuck them way up by the plate and secure with a triglide:

Quick-Release Single Weight Pocket — XS Scuba - Everything For The Perfect Dive

And for diving in temperate conditions with more rubber blubber you can add a V weight:

“V” Weight Pouch — XS Scuba - Everything For The Perfect Dive

Or just revert to a weight belt.

James

When I first got setup with my XDeep Zen backplate and wing I was enjoying the bathtub warm waters of Lauderdale by the Sea. Just some simple straps, a plate, wing, and with a steel tank on the back no additional weight was needed. I thought the whole setup looked pretty sleek, sexy, and minimalist:
View attachment 681574

So I get back home to the Vegas, and despite the 110 degree temperatures the Mohave brings, nearby lake and river temperatures are quite cool. Then there is the SoCal channel island diving which is also quite cool. So out comes the 7mm suit, which means lead and weight pockets. I thought I might as well get a little utility pocket to store the DSMB in as well. Now, by the time all is said and done, it’s no longer as sleek and minimalistic as it was. Although it’s still sexy since it’s a backplate:
View attachment 681581

Ah well, it’s not like the 7mm suit doesn’t add to my overall bulk. I’m not too sure if I’m going to like where I’ve got the pocket rigged on top of the right side weight pocket. Accessibility may be too difficult in the 7mm suit. I’m thinking I may wind up placing it in front of the left side weight pocket. Or just ditch it and only bring what I can directly clip off. It does hold the DSMB and spool and still leaves me with a small shell pocket on the outside. The other option is to clip off the DSMB and spool:
View attachment 681580

So bulky pocket or dangly DSMB/spool? Decisions, decisions. Unfortunately moving to the Caribbean and ditching the weights isn’t in the cards for another 7-8 years.
That’s a bazaar looking waist slot configuration on that plate, I have never seen anything like it. I’m still trying to understand the rationale for horizontal waist strap slots when the strap leaving the plate to go around you waist should be vertical?

Anyway, the plate looks too skeletonized and light for cold water diving. Why not just get a heavy 6 lb stainless plate and use a rubber weightbelt with a few chunks of lead on your hips worn low enough that it doesn’t pull on your lower back. The rubber belts grip the suit so the belt won’t slide around. With a 7mm suit you could probably use a couple 8 or 10 lb hard weights, a steel tank, and be done with it. If you want more weight on your back then get or make some plate weights and bolt them on, or use a channel weight (V weight).

That’s about a streamlined as it gets.

That’s a bazaar looking waist slot configuration on that plate, I have never seen anything like it. I’m still trying to understand the rationale for horizontal waist strap slots when the strap leaving the plate to go around you waist should be vertical?

Anyway, the plate looks too skeletonized and light for cold water diving. Why not just get a heavy 6 lb stainless plate and use a rubber weightbelt with a few chunks of lead on your hips worn low enough that it doesn’t pull on your lower back. The rubber belts grip the suit so the belt won’t slide around.

I’m not familiar with how various backplates run their straps, but this is is comfortable with how the straps are run.

The plate itself I think was rated at 4lbs. Until funds allow for multiple plates I wanted something that was light enough for travel but still suitable for local temperate (55-60 deg) diving.

I used to run a weight belt with my old BCD. It was a short BCD and non-integrated so it was meant to work with a belt. However, in order to keep the belt from sliding off me I need to run the belt pretty high such that it doesn’t fall off me. That or sit around eating Liitle Debbie’s until my backside protrudes to the point where it will hold up a belt.

Drysuit may come in the future, but not likely in the next year.

I do like the idea of the cam band weights and channel weight. With four cam band weight pockets and a channel weight I could probably ditch all other weights.

I’m not familiar with how various backplates run their straps, but this is is comfortable with how the straps are run.

The plate itself I think was rated at 4lbs. Until funds allow for multiple plates I wanted something that was light enough for travel but still suitable for local temperate (55-60 deg) diving.

I used to run a weight belt with my old BCD. It was a short BCD and non-integrated so it was meant to work with a belt. However, in order to keep the belt from sliding off me I need to run the belt pretty high such that it doesn’t fall off me. That or sit around eating Liitle Debbie’s until my backside protrudes to the point where it will hold up a belt.

Drysuit may come in the future, but not likely in the next year.

I do like the idea of the cam band weights and channel weight. With four cam band weight pockets and a channel weight I could probably ditch all other weights.
Are you sure you want all your weight unditchable?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom