So much for streamlined

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you sure you want all your weight unditchable?

I’m wondering if the lower band weights can be setup at ditchable weights. It’ll take some experimenting in the pool. The other option would be to go to the small weight pockets in addition to the cam band weights.

Not expecting an overnight solution. This plate should last me some time so I’ll be able to experiment here and there.

When I first got setup with my XDeep Zen backplate and wing I was enjoying the bathtub warm waters of Lauderdale by the Sea. Just some simple straps, a plate, wing, and with a steel tank on the back no additional weight was needed. I thought the whole setup looked pretty sleek, sexy, and minimalist:
View attachment 681574

So I get back home to the Vegas, and despite the 110 degree temperatures the Mohave brings, nearby lake and river temperatures are quite cool. Then there is the SoCal channel island diving which is also quite cool. So out comes the 7mm suit, which means lead and weight pockets. I thought I might as well get a little utility pocket to store the DSMB in as well. Now, by the time all is said and done, it’s no longer as sleek and minimalistic as it was. Although it’s still sexy since it’s a backplate:
View attachment 681581

Ah well, it’s not like the 7mm suit doesn’t add to my overall bulk. I’m not too sure if I’m going to like where I’ve got the pocket rigged on top of the right side weight pocket. Accessibility may be too difficult in the 7mm suit. I’m thinking I may wind up placing it in front of the left side weight pocket. Or just ditch it and only bring what I can directly clip off. It does hold the DSMB and spool and still leaves me with a small shell pocket on the outside. The other option is to clip off the DSMB and spool:
View attachment 681580

So bulky pocket or dangly DSMB/spool? Decisions, decisions. Unfortunately moving to the Caribbean and ditching the weights isn’t in the cards for another 7-8 years.
So you bought an ultralight BP and then added weight pockets. That makes no sense. For close to the same price you could have just bought a nice 6lb steel BP instead and a weighted STA if necessary to get enough weight to compensate for the suit Then you could have the nice steamlined rig you started with and enough weight built in so you would not need those ugly bulky pockets and all that lead.

So you bought an ultralight BP and then added weight pockets. That makes no sense. For close to the same price you could have just bought a nice 6lb steel BP instead and a weighted STA if necessary to get enough weight to compensate for the suit Then you could have the nice steamlined rig you started with and enough weight built in so you would not need those ugly bulky pockets and all that lead.
Not so much an ultralight BP. It’s still 4#. Wanted something a little lighter than the steel for travel. “One plate to rule them all.” I’ve since found that for my freshwater diving in a 7mm, hood, and gloves I’m running 8# of weight, 4# each side. So I thought about ditching the weight pockets and simply using some old cam band weight pockets. 3 of my 4 tanks are steel 15L (2 HP117 and 1 LP95) with the fourth an AL80. When I run the AL80 I need to slap on a few extra lbs to compensate for its floatyness. A couple 2# ankle weights to clip on would fill that need.

Otherwise still very happy with this setup overall.

Go with cam band weight pockets and then clip your SMB/spool off to your butt D-ring. You'll be good bud.

Not so much an ultralight BP. It’s still 4#. Wanted something a little lighter than the steel for travel. “One plate to rule them all.” I’ve since found that for my freshwater diving in a 7mm, hood, and gloves I’m running 8# of weight, 4# each side. So I thought about ditching the weight pockets and simply using some old cam band weight pockets. 3 of my 4 tanks are steel 15L (2 HP117 and 1 LP95) with the fourth an AL80. When I run the AL80 I need to slap on a few extra lbs to compensate for its floatyness. A couple 2# ankle weights to clip on would fill that need.

Otherwise still very happy with this setup overall.
Oh, I was surprised to hear that skeletonized plate weighs 4lb. I thought a solid AL plate was 2lb and a solid SS plate was 6lb, so I would have expected that with the cutouts yours has it would be made of aluminum and weigh like 1 to 1.5lb. Is it actually made of steel and the cutouts are what takes it from 6 down to 4?

It seems to me that adding weight to your ankles to compensate for the floatyness of a tank (at your waist or higher) may negatively impact your trim. Or maybe you intend to put the "ankle weights" around the neck of the tank (better, but may impact trim a bit in the opposite direction). I'd suggest you try just adding the extra couple pounds right at your waist where the floatyness of the bottom of your AL80 is.

Oh, I was surprised to hear that skeletonized plate weighs 4lb. I thought a solid AL plate was 2lb and a solid SS plate was 6lb, so I would have expected that with the cutouts yours has it would be made of aluminum and weigh like 1 to 1.5lb. Is it actually made of steel and the cutouts are what takes it from 6 down to 4?

It seems to me that adding weight to your ankles to compensate for the floatyness of a tank (at your waist or higher) may negatively impact your trim. Or maybe you intend to put the "ankle weights" around the neck of the tank (better, but may impact trim a bit in the opposite direction). I'd suggest you try just adding the extra couple pounds right at your waist where the floatyness of the bottom of your AL80 is.

It's their "large" plate and is 4mm thick. The whole thing isn't skeletonized. XDeep specs (linky) show 3 KG for the AL backplate setup (5.1 KG for steel) with the BC being 1.1 KG of that. So 1.9 KG for the plate/harness, or about 4.2#. Can't imagine the harness weighs all that much.

I was referring to just clipping the the ankle weights to the waist strap back near the plate.

Back
Top Bottom