So many fin options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've tried to like Jets twice, no love was found.

all depends on your kick style and leg muscles. They are certainly not the fin for leisurely flutter kicking, same with the F1's. If you are doing a modified breast stroke kick/frog kick, or you need to get somewhere in a damn hurry, they are among the best out there, there's a reason the military still uses them.... Unfortunately it requires a great deal of leg strength to get them to get up and go, but you can haul ass faster than most any other fin on the market. The OMS Slipstreams because they are stiffer than the Jets will go faster, the F1's faster than that, but require more muscle to move.

I'll take a look and see who is teaching my class, I will be doing the six weeks 1 night a week class. And I knew they taught with the backplate, didn't know it was a huge advantage like that :D

I'm jealous; mine was a ridiculous 2 days/ what is this "backplate" you speak of? Anyway, I would think they'd be happy to let you try out different fins (at least the ones they sell).

My favorites

1. Slipstreams or Jets (for wetsuit)
2. Hollis F1s for Drysuit.

Id also look into Turtles for drysuits as they get a lot of praise. Never dived them. Can anyone give a comparison of F1s and Turtles?

My favorites

1. Slipstreams or Jets (for wetsuit)
2. Hollis F1s for Drysuit.

Id also look into Turtles for drysuits as they get a lot of praise. Never dived them. Can anyone give a comparison of F1s and Turtles?

turtles are like limp noodles compared to the f1's. They're floppier than the jet fins, but they were heavier so made drysuit diving in doubles a bit easier, but the f1's are just better overall.

The short list is still
Backmount:
Hollis F1, Scubapro Jet fins *preferably used for like $60. Contrary to some other comments, they do work just fine for singles in backmount whether in a bathing suit or wetsuit, just get yourself in proper body position and it works fine*
Sidemount/CCR/travel: Dive Rite XT's, OMS Slipstreams

I've tried a lot of fins, have owned a lot of fins, and with the exception of a pair of mares fins that I use to beat up in the pool, there really isn't anything else looking at. I keep my Hog Tech 2's because they are red which is my alma maters color, are good for pool use, I bought them for like $40 on craigslist and it isn't worth it to me to sell them. My slipstreams went away in favor of the Dive Rites, and because I got Jet Fins for basically nothing on craigslist and don't foresee diving doubles often enough to justify it, I haven't found a need to buy the F1's. The Deep6 fins will be interesting, but will be a while before I can try them because they won't be coming out in size enormous for another year or two

If Hollis ever make the F1 in small I'd def grab another pair, the Regulars where unfortunately too big even in DS boots. Other than being laterally sloppy I really liked them. The weight was perfect for me and they certainly generate some power frog kicking. People talk about the power of Jets but I think it's important to remember there is quite a big difference in blade size M and L as compared to XL and up. This may be why I have no love for them, I find them uncomfortable, overly stiff with a very small blade. They were much stiffer than the F1s I had. I felt like I was kicking humming bird speed just to keep up whereas the F1s required less frequent kicking to maintain same speed.

have you tried overboots with socks instead of booties? I have big feet, so my comments are all against XL and XXL jet fins and comparable. XL is what I wear with a gym sock, and there is no slop, so take that with a grain of salt. I can also back up barefoot in doubles in a drysuit....

have you tried overboots with socks instead of booties? I have big feet, so my comments are all against XL and XXL jet fins and comparable. XL is what I wear with a gym sock, and there is no slop, so take that with a grain of salt. I can also back up barefoot in doubles in a drysuit....

Unfortunately that's not possible as I have the attached 2.5mm flex boots on my Santi. No doubt thicker boots would fix the issue. When the current boots fail I'll get them replaced with bigger/thicker boots. Not sure who thought attached 2.5mm boots was a good idea for a Drysuit, hindsights 20/20.

I was one of the original consumer testers for the F1's. Still have the prototypes for the all black and the yellow tips that came out later. Great fin for OW dives and high current applications in my opinion. I have them in XL in the all black for use with my heavy wet boots and rock boots and the yellow tips in large for thinner boots. They are heavy but I have had mine to Bonaire (first place they were in the water), Monterey, and Puerto Rico. The F1's are designed to be neutral in salt water so they are naturally a tad heavy in fresh. I like the three position options for the spring straps. They are however expensive and I have a rule to never pay more than 125 bucks for fins. Both sets of my F1's cost me a review of them for Hollis to use.

I don't do caves at all. Maybe some day as I have a number of friends who keep telling me to try it. I am a wreck diver and for those I have been using the HOG tech fins for a couple years now. They are not high speed, high current fins. Never were purported to be. They are designed for use in tight quarters and they excel there. I like them better than the F1's, my old Aqualung Blades (the originals- not the junk Blades2), my Aeris Vectors, Rockets, and Jets I was able to try. Jets hurt my feet. Rockets and Super Rockets only fit certain people, and others are too long. No problem maneuvering in a dry suit with the extra drag.

I own at least 6 pairs of scuba fins. Some I have not touched in years but I still see the possibility of using them at some point. I have owned over a dozen. Many were bought and resold. At one time I had 4 sets of blades. Bought cheap on ebay and sold for a profit.

The best thing to do is try the fins in the pool. The shop whose pool I use has over a dozen styles and makes of fins for students to try before they buy. I'll bring in my F1's for them to use since he is a Hollis dealer and my HOG Tech Fins since that is what I sell.

Edge also had an entry level fin that retails for around 50 bucks that is surprisingly good. I have a couple pairs of the Transcend on hand.

Their new entry level one is a bit more but I have been using them in the pool. A little soft for my tastes but the foot pockets are nice and it comes with a rubber bungee style strap that is available in different lengths. Kinda like a spring strap but less expensive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom