So many fin options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

baltdiveguy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
New diver - looking at scoring some fins today; and am slowly figuring out the rest of my gear. One thing I didn't anticipate is so many different fin options! How does one decide?

Any advice on what I should be looking for? I have wetsuit and boots; can I use the same pair of open heel fins with and without boots? I'm a generally strong swimmer without fins, and sadly didn't take not of what fins I was using with the rental gear on my dives recently.

So - any advice would be great!

few basic options that depend on what kind of diving you will be doing

If in sidemount, the Dive Rite XT's are pretty much the best thing out there followed closely by the OMS Slipstreams. That is a personal preference thing
If in backmount, the Scubapro Jet fins are the gold standard, though I think the Hollis F1 bat fins are better

spring straps are a must. Other than those 4, the only other one worth looking at will be the Deep6 fins when they finally arrive from the slow boat.

New diver - looking at scoring some fins today; and am slowly figuring out the rest of my gear. One thing I didn't anticipate is so many different fin options! How does one decide?

Any advice on what I should be looking for? I have wetsuit and boots; can I use the same pair of open heel fins with and without boots?

Depens on the size and the booties: if it's a thin sole, you could swap them for fin socks without too many problems. If you're between fin sizes you could end up with a "size up" in booties and "size down" without. :(

Basically, the bigger and stiffer the blade, the more propulsion you'll get out of it. It's also the one that gives you most cramps and muscle pains. Softer blades are less strain on your legs at the expense of power. Most importantly: find ones that fit and don't try to twist off your foot or squash your toes.

There may be a lot of options out there in fins, but many people - including myself - think simpler is better in fins. IMO a lot of the "options" out there are more about marketing, trying to draw attention and sell more fins at a higher price, but add little or nothing to the function of the fins. Sometimes they just add more stuff to break. Unless you have a good reason to do otherwise, I'd look at any simple paddle style fins that get good reviews (there's more good ones than the 4-5 mentioned above), and fit comfortably with your boots.

Split fins are a frequent topic of discussion on this board, with a lot of haters. All I will say is, read about the pros and cons of those and try before buying. I think they have their place, especially for people who have joint issues or maybe weak legs, but they tend to be heavy, expensive, and can lack power - which is different from speed. You rarely need more speed but often do need power. They work best with a certain kicking style and generally aren't as good at certain kicks or fine maneuvering. If you're a strong swimmer I don't think you should be tempted by these.

Unless your boots are very thin you'll probably find the same open heel fins won't fit right both with and without boots. And most OH fins will not be very comfortable without boots. However, if you're asking because you're looking at doing both warm and cold water diving with the same fins, there's really no reason you can't use heavier boots in the tropics. While you might not want to pack and wear a heavy wetsuit for a tropical trip, and lighter boots can be nice, heavier boots are fine and many people just do that. Even in warm water, where you don't need the thermal protection, you may still need to protect your feet, especially if you are shore diving or otherwise walking around a lot.

Weight can be a consideration. People that mostly dive cold water often prefer heavy rubber fins like classic Scubapro Jets, as they perform well and the weight there can help with trim/floating legs in cold water gear (not to mention they're bulletproof and inexpensive.) Similar style fins are also made in lighter materials. If you're traveling by air you may want to look at lighter, mostly plastic fins, as the weight can add up. If you do both you may eventually just wind up with 2 (or more) sets of fins and boots. For the same money as one set of the latest fancy gimmicky fins, you could probably buy 2 sets of simple but very good and much less expensive fins, one suited for cold water and one for warm, and be better off.

Spring or bungie straps are popular and make it much easier to get the fins on and off. Some fins come with them now, or you can buy them separately or maybe even make your own.

If you're out to save money, buying used fins can be a great option. It's pretty easy to judge the condition, and the mostly likely thing to be wrong with them is straps, which are easy to replace. The fins I happen to like (original US Divers Blades) are no longer made but if something happens to mine I just find a pair on eBay for like $20.

The tech2's are not bad, but not my favorite. I have a set, but don't use them. Great control, no power, especially annoying in drysuits. For cold water diving nothing I have found can beat the Hollis F1. If you're in a drysuit and/or backmount, the weight is almost a requirement to maintain trim. I don't own hollis, nor do I ever intend to own them, but they do win for that category, conveniently I don't dive that category often anymore and my Jet Fins are more than sufficient

So the feeling I am getting is the scubapro jet fins are probably the best investment? (given that I find them comfortable and all). I am not certified yet but what I want to get into diving for is for seeing wrecks.

you probably aren't going to find them comfortable, they're kind of designed for people with brick feet, but that all depends on the boots you're wearing. You are really close to a fantastic dive shop, so I would head over to Dan's Dive Shop and talk to Matt et al. over there and see what they are recommending if and if you can try some fins in the water before you buy.

Dive Rite XT's for wetsuit diving.

Hog Tech2, Hollis F1, OMS Slipstreams, or ScubaPro Jets for drysuit diving.

Force Fins if you win the Powerball.

You are the second person that has mentioned that Dan's dive shop is pretty good! That is where I will be doing my OW cert. in March.

When I was just starting to think I wanted to get into diving they went above and beyond in terms of telling me everything I ever wanted to know about the course and how much fun the hobby is.

Back
Top Bottom