So many fin options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For anyone with small feet or who is interested and looking for a good alternative to stumpy large jets the small Mares Powrr Planas are almost the same size, blade wise, as XL jets.

I was one of the original consumer testers for the F1's. Still have the prototypes for the all black and the yellow tips that came out later. Great fin for OW dives and high current applications in my opinion. I have them in XL in the all black for use with my heavy wet boots and rock boots and the yellow tips in large for thinner boots. They are heavy but I have had mine to Bonaire (first place they were in the water), Monterey, and Puerto Rico. The F1's are designed to be neutral in salt water so they are naturally a tad heavy in fresh. I like the three position options for the spring straps. They are however expensive and I have a rule to never pay more than 125 bucks for fins. Both sets of my F1's cost me a review of them for Hollis to use.

I don't do caves at all. Maybe some day as I have a number of friends who keep telling me to try it. I am a wreck diver and for those I have been using the HOG tech fins for a couple years now. They are not high speed, high current fins. Never were purported to be. They are designed for use in tight quarters and they excel there. I like them better than the F1's, my old Aqualung Blades (the originals- not the junk Blades2), my Aeris Vectors, Rockets, and Jets I was able to try. Jets hurt my feet. Rockets and Super Rockets only fit certain people, and others are too long. No problem maneuvering in a dry suit with the extra drag.

I own at least 6 pairs of scuba fins. Some I have not touched in years but I still see the possibility of using them at some point. I have owned over a dozen. Many were bought and resold. At one time I had 4 sets of blades. Bought cheap on ebay and sold for a profit.

The best thing to do is try the fins in the pool. The shop whose pool I use has over a dozen styles and makes of fins for students to try before they buy. I'll bring in my F1's for them to use since he is a Hollis dealer and my HOG Tech Fins since that is what I sell.

Edge also had an entry level fin that retails for around 50 bucks that is surprisingly good. I have a couple pairs of the Transcend on hand.

Their new entry level one is a bit more but I have been using them in the pool. A little soft for my tastes but the foot pockets are nice and it comes with a rubber bungee style strap that is available in different lengths. Kinda like a spring strap but less expensive.

Hollis is coming out with a new shorter version of F1s' meant for wrecks and tight spaces. Have you tried those?

I've tried to like Jets twice, no love was found.

I hope I didn't overlook it in another post, but what didn't you like about the Jets? Why do you prefer the F1s over the Jets?

I have been loving my little Hollis F2s for vacation travel diving in wetsuit and low current--which is pretty much all the diving I have been doing--but now I am signed up for a drysuit class and realize I will need heavier fins, not to mention a larger blade to handle diving in current. It's my understanding that the F1s are just as heavy as the Jets. If there is no difference in weight, then what are the differences?

I have strong legs, so I don't anticipate any problem with pushing stiff fins, but I do have fairly short legs--I needed to have the legs shortened on my otherwise size Large drysuit. With so relatively little leg area, I have never suffered from floaty feet. So I am wondering whether XL Jets (to fit my US Size 9.5 Men's feet in Santi Flexsoles) might be TOO heavy?

It's my understanding that the F1s are just as heavy as the Jets. If there is no difference in weight, then what are the differences?
The foot pocket on the F1s is more comfortable and better shaped. The F1s are longer and narrower than the Jets, which is probably why Hollis is coming out with a shorter version for wrecks and caves.
I've dove both in my drysuit and did not notice any difference in thrust or buoyancy characteristics.

This photo has the 4 fins we own, so you can get an idea of sizes - top to bottom is Jet L, Jet XL, F1 XL, US Admiral Blades L.
IMG_20150716_201622.jpg
This photo is of me in my drysuit taken the exact (and only) instant that I was in good trim - you can see how much the fins stick out in the back in this one.
Utrim.jpg
One other thing I would recommend is try the Jet fins out before you order - the sizing guide isn't very accurate. Hollis' guide is a lot closer to reality.

Wow--that's quite a difference in length between the L Jet and the XL Jet. But not much of a difference between the XL Jet and the XL F1.

Since Hollis' size chart indicates that XL should fit US Men's foot size 10-12, I'm guessing that would be good for my size 9.5 feet in drysuit boots.

Like others, I find it frustrating that few dive shops that would led me try on a pair in the water sell both Scubapro and Hollis.

My wife loves her HOG Tech 2 fins. It's possible they would suit me fine, too.

Wow--that's quite a difference in length between the L Jet and the XL Jet.
The foot pocket size difference between the two is also very significant. I've found that we had to go a size up on the Jets from what their chart recommended. My wife is a women's size 9 and uses size L even though the chart would have her in an M. She uses the same fin for wet and dry - hard sole booties when diving wet and Turbosoles on her DUI.

Since Hollis' size chart indicates that XL should fit US Men's foot size 10-12, I'm guessing that would be good for my size 9.5 feet in drysuit boots.
That's what I use and am 9.5 or 10 in street shoes. The adjustable spring strap gives you a fair bit of room to play around. I also use the same fins for wet and dry - I wear size 9.5 Converse with neoprene socks when diving wet and drysuit has Turbosoles. There's no noticeable lateral movement with either.

I hope I didn't overlook it in another post, but what didn't you like about the Jets? Why do you prefer the F1s over the Jets?

I have been loving my little Hollis F2s for vacation travel diving in wetsuit and low current--which is pretty much all the diving I have been doing--but now I am signed up for a drysuit class and realize I will need heavier fins, not to mention a larger blade to handle diving in current. It's my understanding that the F1s are just as heavy as the Jets. If there is no difference in weight, then what are the differences?

I have strong legs, so I don't anticipate any problem with pushing stiff fins, but I do have fairly short legs--I needed to have the legs shortened on my otherwise size Large drysuit. With so relatively little leg area, I have never suffered from floaty feet. So I am wondering whether XL Jets (to fit my US Size 9.5 Men's feet in Santi Flexsoles) might be TOO heavy?

As shown in the photo of side by side above you can see the blade on a Large jet is tiny particularly compared to an F1. The length on a large Jet is the same as a small F2 and XS Accel. I find I need to kick more to maintain speed or fight current. I also dislike the foot pocket, if your foot is made from a rectangle Leggo block you might be ok. I also couldn't really get a good fit the medium was too small but the Large was a tad too big. The F1s by comparison have a more anatomically correct foot pocket, the blade, on a regular, is significantly larger than the Jet. I could generate far more power in the F1. For DS diving I think the F1 is a much better fin. If diving wet I much prefer the Mares Power Plana over Jets. The foot pocket is way more comfortable and the blade size, Small size, is also much bigger than a large Jet. They are similarly powerful as an F1 but not as heavy. I posted a photo of a large jet side by side with a Power Plana ill try to find thread and link to it. If you have strong legs, can get a good fit and need the weight I'd choose the F1 over a Jet every time no question.

---------- Post added January 13th, 2016 at 06:34 PM ----------

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fi...ung-rocket-3.html?highlight=Mares+Power+Plana

The photo is post #23.

---------- Post added January 13th, 2016 at 06:43 PM ----------

FWIW I wear a narrow 6.5 men's so wet boots are usually a 5mm 6 or 7 US depending on brand. I recently bought some 4th Element Palagic boots size7 US, not only is the fit perfect, I think they run small, the thickness and width has made some of my previously loose fins now fit properly, namely DR XTs in medium and small Power Planas (previously could only use with DS boots) and Avanti Quattro plus in small. Very nice boots.

---------- Post added January 13th, 2016 at 06:45 PM ----------

The small F2s now also fit a little better but regular F1s still a no go.

Last edited:
In your quest to find good fins, you will likely buy a half dozen or so different models and spend many hundreds of dollars. Eventually, you learn that they all pretty much suck, some more than others, but a truly good fin will not be found in the land of scuba equipment.

I settled on the F1 for dry suit and the power plana's for wetsuit diving. Both have foot pockets far more comfy, for my feet at least, than jet fins. Between the F1 and the power plana the latter take the crown.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom