So, it's Labour Day...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm doing nothing. I dived today to beat the HOARDS of people that crowd our remote NS beaches and dive sites on weekends & holidays. Sarcastic of course. Eat your heart out Jones Beach or Connecticut.....and all those places where you pay to park among a zillion cars. I dived at one of our usual sites--Fox Point Beach-- S. of Halifax. Found a spanking new mask and snorkel which must've been dropped just days ago. Other than that, the site isn't very COLOURFUL.

But it's the ocean... I did a few dives around Halifax many years ago, to escape a family reunion. Mrs' Stoo #1's Mother is from Yarmouth and has family still there, and around Mahone Bay... Nice diving as I recall!

But it's the ocean... I did a few dives around Halifax many years ago, to escape a family reunion. Mrs' Stoo #1's Mother is from Yarmouth and has family still there, and around Mahone Bay... Nice diving as I recall!
Other than close to home (NE of Hfx.), my other "home" diving is all in St. Margarets Bay, next door to Mahone. We looked at Mahone when moving East a decade ago but way too expensive.

Madrona Point - my favorite dive site in the central island. :thumb:

Divegoose

Other than close to home (NE of Hfx.), my other "home" diving is all in St. Margarets Bay, next door to Mahone. We looked at Mahone when moving East a decade ago but way too expensive.

They've been there a long time, so presumably beat the crazy prices. Neat little community though~

Madrona Point - my favorite dive site in the central island. :thumb:

Divegoose

Where is that DG? I may have a day to kill when I'm out there at the end of the month!

Ivy Lea, St Lawrence River. lock 21 has 5 feet of viz but the water is 76F.
Today did an excellent Lillie Parsons to the King barge drift....err, well none of us actually got as far as the King, but pretty close.
Ash Island drift and ended up by the not-quite submerged rocks covered in bird poop.
Two more days left of watery goodness in this Labour Day weekend.

Where is that DG? I may have a day to kill when I'm out there at the end of the month!

Just outside of Parksville. If you are coming from Nanaimo, take exit 46 into Parksville. The first set of lights will be Northwest Bay Rd. Turn right onto Northwest Bay Rd and follow for about 2 km and then turn left onto Beaver Creek Wharf Rd. At the end of Beaver Creek Wharf Rd turn left onto Madrona Dr. At the end of Madrona Dr this is a small parking area. Trail leads down to the water. Three different sites you can dive here - small wall, mid wall, and big wall. Lots of life on the small wall, but most often I am diving the big wall.

Hope this helps !!

Divegoose :)

Saturday was a Lake Erie trip to the Raleigh at my wife's request. Vis was horrid, but the fish were abundant and on the run home stopped in on some friends at the Buffalo Canoe Club. Today will be an upper Niagara River (West Channel) drift which I will be leaving for in about an hour.....

West Branch of the Niagara River - Scored an 1800's era "soda" bottle. Aqua-Blue glass, but the glass stopper/cork neck is broken off. Bottle is from "FRED KERN & Co" "Buffalo, N.Y."

As we were wrapping up our drift, and at 500 psi, I thumbed up, shut off the camera, and clipped it off. I then rose to about 15' off the bottom, and we drift over an old wood hull wreck!!!!!! You have to be kidding me! Looks like it's about 50' long, and not a barge..... Almost went and got another set of tanks.. We are already plotting how to line it up again....

These are "hot drops" in a 2-3 knot current, so it will be a challenge to find it again.

Saturday dove a darn near the virgin wreck of the Frank Goodyear that has not been seen since 2002 on Lake Huron. Vis was around 100ft with thermocline at 70ft and 43°F all the way to the bottom at 240'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom