So indecisive...BP/W vs jacket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only issue with the pad is this. When you switch from STA to twins, the wing nuts or variant are not the easiest to access.
Only an issue if you go back and forth.

Get whatever works best for you but you should at least understand that in addition to the jacket style and BP/W, there are back inflate BCDs as well. Although you would not know it from this forum, they are quite popular. Of course, you can't sit at the cool kids' table at lunch unless you have a BP/W and a crotch strap. :)

Get whatever works best for you but you should at least understand that in addition to the jacket style and BP/W, there are back inflate BCDs as well. Although you would not know it from this forum, they are quite popular. Of course, you can't sit at the cool kids' table at lunch unless you have a BP/W and a crotch strap. :)
Yup

Backplate and wing would be better than a back inflate bc IMO if tech training is in his plans.

My 2019 plan is to begin some tech classes i.e. deco, trimix, light wreck penetration, and I want to concentrate on my trim.

Keep the classic. You can search on my endless search for a perfect buoyancy control device. It doesn't exist. It changes with how you want to dive.

I trained on a Classic, bought a KnightHawk, dove a Zeagle, and always yearned for that Classic. Keep it! I ended up buying dumpsterDiver's Classic. You could verify that, but he is permabanned from SB. :wink:

I now dive BP/W almost exclusively, usually my FP. But there are times I just want my poodle jacket. :)

I do like my Classic.

But I read so much about the BP/W setup.

Ugh...where is Nirvana?

I do like my Classic.

But I read so much about the BP/W setup.

Ugh...where is Nirvana?

Where you dive the gear rather than the gear diving you.

Ugh...where is Nirvana?
A very wise person once said: "Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't". Keep a choice with respect to your buoyancy control.
:wink:

There is no Zen in extremism of any sort. I am the guy who will never die underwater, however, I still lack style and grace. We are all imperfect, striving for perfection is Nirvana.

I am in the same boat : I saw a used Hollis BP/W for 350$ (Aluminum back plate).
After reading so much about this set-up, I am very much tempted. I wish I could try it first though...

What you REALLY need is a huge dive closet, and an understanding spouse. So keep the comfy jacket for rec dives, buy the special set up for tech dives, and here's the key; don't try to make one dive setup work for all conditions. It sucks to not have exactly the right gear for the specific conditions.
Oh, and a BP/W is the most adjustable setup for many different types of conditions, or maybe several different backplates...
:spend:

Back
Top Bottom