So indecisive...BP/W vs jacket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcpowell

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I’ve never tried a BP/W system, but the “cult” here on SB is influential. My current BCD is a Scubapro classic, which I really like. It’s comforable, well built, good pockets and d-rings. My 2019 plan is to begin some tech classes i.e. deco, trimix, light wreck penetration, and I want to concentrate on my trim. I seem to be a bit foot heavy currently.

On the other hand, there is a used Halycon Infinity for sale about 10 miles from me. It appears to be in good shape, has additional webbing still in the bag, 40# wing, stainless Bp, weighted STA and I can get it for $325 or so.

I’m tempted to pull the trigger and get the Halycon and assume if I don’t like it I could get most of my money back.

Thoughts?

Going from a jacket to a BP/wing was one of the best moves I have done. Never regretted for a moment.

$325 is not a bad deal for that setup at all IMO if the wing is in good shape. Id probably buy it and like you mentioned... sell if you dont like.

I recently picked up the same system used and am very happy with it btw....

I would pass. There is no reason for that amount of padding. A simple harness and backplate will last you the rest of your life. You can change D-Rings, adjust the fit and in several years when the two inch webbing begins to fray you can easily replace it.

I would pass. There is no reason for that amount of padding. A simple harness and backplate will last you the rest of your life. You can change D-Rings, adjust the fit and in several years when the two inch webbing begins to fray you can easily replace it.

Why not just remove the pads? Everything else is standard besides the cinch system that can also be removed. The cinch system, shoulder and plate pads could be sold to recoup cost too.

Halcyon Infinity - Halcyon Dive Systems

In that case it is a good deal. A backplate/harness/single tank wing combo is around $300, so the 40# wing would make the difference. Selling off the unnecessary parts make it an even better deal.

It sounds like a very low risk proposition to me. Assuming the gear is in good shape, I don't see how you wouldn't be able to get your money back after giving it a try. Not that it will matter, because you won't want to give it up.

Buy the Halcyon. I have one. Love it.

Keep the classic. You can search on my endless search for a perfect buoyancy control device. It doesn't exist. It changes with how you want to dive.

I trained on a Classic, bought a KnightHawk, dove a Zeagle, and always yearned for that Classic. Keep it! I ended up buying dumpsterDiver's Classic. You could verify that, but he is permabanned from SB. :wink:

I now dive BP/W almost exclusively, usually my FP. But there are times I just want my poodle jacket. :)

Get a BP/W and don’t look back. If you are diving steel tanks be aware a stainless steel plate will limit your weight options for trim. When I am diving a HP120 or HP100 steel tank and a stainless plate I’m extremely negative, so I don’t have the luxury of trim weights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom