So indecisive...BP/W vs jacket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do like my Classic.

But I read so much about the BP/W setup.

I never liked jackets. I'm far more comfortable in the water in speedos than in a life jacket. I'm OK diving in a jacket but I feel better without one. Plus I'm all for modular systems. So for me the choice was a no-brainer.

Why do you need a new BCD? If you like your current one and it ain't broken -- why fix it?

Why do you need a new BCD? If you like your current one and it ain't broken -- why fix it?

I don't need one right now, this one popped up locally and I was considering purchasing it. Ultimately, I do think I need a BP/W setup as I am planning a trip to Truk and I expect that trip will be more enjoyable with longer (deco) dives. However, I don't think a single tank BP/W system is the way I'm going to go. I suspect I'll keep my classic for recreational NDL diving and get a doubles setup for deco diving.

Backplate and wing would be better than a back inflate bc IMO if tech training is in his plans.

You are right. I overlooked that.

Ugh...where is Nirvana?

It doesn't exist

I have two wings (SS plate for Drysuit and Transpac plateless for the summer) I dive a Poodle jacket (Aqualung axiom) and I have a side mount rig

I love them all, and can dive them all just as accurately

If I'm teaching or just want a easy dive with Al 80 I'll sling on the Jacket. I'f I'm using my Steels and slinging large Pones or deco then of course I'll defer to my BP/W

Of maybe I'll put on the SM and mooch around with lots of gas

Other days I'll pull out the first thing and dive it, because I can

Yes BP/W is nice (I like the crotch strap and wish my jacket had one) but it's not the be all and end all. They are not some magical device that will change your diving

Go with what you're comfortable with

On the other hand, be like me, be a magpie an buy shiny stuff because you want it (need never enters my vocabulary with dive gear, only want..)

I would go for the BP/W. A) because it will outlast you (and your current BC) B) because if you want to be doing deco dives in doubles with a deco bottle, possibly get a scooter someday etc. you cant go wrong with that choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom