So, I just finished making a Super Bowl commercial...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP:
Quite easy - you look at two matched groups of people:

- those who saw the ad
- those who didn't see the ad

You then look at their behavior and see if there's a difference.

Quite common to run ads in some markets and not in other and see what happens.

hmmm.... i don't think it's quite as simple as you make it out ...

when you say "advertisment works" all you're saying is that communicating a message works ... sometimes, under the right circumstances

i don't think ads are as effective as you seem to think, or that they communicate the intended message as effectively as you think

RJP:
BTW - advertising does work. There is no doubt. There is no arguing with the premise. Of course that assumes the advertising is GOOD. BAD advertising doesn't work.

you're begging the question, though, aren't you?

For the most part, short of the simple banner ads on reputable websites, the greatest majority of ads are aimed at the uneducated or 'trend' following market crowd. So far I've seen 2 car commercials (nissan titan and ford f150 - as shown 45k and 35k respectively) Visa (save the tree's and pay intrest), Verizon trendy phone, another Ford (edge), and McDonalds hgh carbs and saturated fats commercial. If I were to follow the advice or purchase whats in the commercials I'd dramatically increase my debt, revolve it, get a cool phone and grab the fastest fat snack on the planet. Oh, there was a beer one to.. Bud Lite, avoid work, drink beer!

OK.. that was the critical eye. :D

Non critically speaking, it was an entertaining break from the football game which Chiland is as I predicted, dominating the Saints (but I didn't pick them in the pool, its the fastest way to jinyx the team from winning!).

H2Andy:
hmmm.... i don't think it's quite as simple as you make it out ...

when you say "advertisment works" all you're saying is that communicating a message works ... sometimes, under the right circumstances

i don't think ads are as effective as you seem to think, or that they communicate the intended message as effectively as you think

you're begging the question, though, aren't you?

Well, of course I wasn't going to go into all the details...

:)

But I've got 20yrs of experience in marketing and advertising. I've created ads, run ads, tested ads. I've seen them work - on the business, economic, and even physiologic level.

It may look like smoke and mirrors, but there's a lot behind it.

I will be back later, gotta go get drunk and buy a new truck. . .

RJP:
Well, ...

I just saw a post (warhammer) with a lot behind it. Pretty gross.

I'm not propogating the link.

Congratulations on the superbowl ad, that's the big time.

There are some ads I hate and some I really like.

The Hummer ads are always good. There is a car ad with zoom zoom, I remember the ad but don't remember who's ad it is.

There's a funny ad about cowboy bill doing the birthday party. He's a stripper and the punchline is "don't scar 5 year olds for life". It's for a cellular service, which one I don't know, but it was a funny ad the first few times I saw it.

I hate any ad that copies the original apple ad with the white backround. It says our agency really, really lacks creativity.

There are a lot of entertaining ads that I really don't associate with the product they're supposed to make me want to buy.

Target with their red works.

I love ads, they have 30 seconds to tell a story, some have big budgets and great creative people behind them.

Car dealers are an exception, Yell or show the owners family, yep, I'm rushing to the dealership with the fat guy and ugly wife, unless the guy yelling on my television changes my mind. If they would like to get me on their lot, put these people there in a dunking booth.

I'd like to see the oxyclean guy dropped in a blender-see-there's one that I can remember the product.

Super Bowl is a great time to go fishing, to the Bass pro shop, or the range, everyone is watching a mediocre football game.

RJP:

Thats a truisim with a lot of weight! Hey.. if I haven't conveyed it before, I do appreciate commercials.. they are basically the boob tube's fastest TV shows that in most instances get more replay time than classic TV shows. To have one showcased in the SuperBowl is definitely something to be proud of :)

Diver Dennis:
With LOTS of gratuitous nudity...:D

Gratuitous nudity, if it's a guy!

I liked the cat herding! And the Budweiser commercials

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom