So, I just finished making a Super Bowl commercial...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My favorite commercials are the ones that use only a few words to convey either emotion or humor. Current example of a fave: (yeah, its a Bud) two lines of horses facing one another. Zebra standing in the middle. First guy remarks that the referee is a real horse'sass. Second guy laconically remarks: "No, I believe thats a zebra"...

:D

The Bud commercial with the tiny colt pulling the Beer Wagon by himself, then the camera pans behind the wagon and all the other horses are pushing it from behind, that one's a real keeper also...

mislav:
I hope no sea creatures were harmed in the making of that video? :coffee:

Nope - but I did get in two days of diving in Southern California while I was out there shooting it last week!

:)

Hmm commercials. I love watching them, they're funny or entertaining, but I've not bought any products advertised in a superbowl commercial. For that matter, I have few items in my house I've ever seen in advertisement anywhere. I guess I dont fall for the 'have, do, be' of commercials. (If I have this, then I can do that, and I'll be [fill in the blank])

Never bought anything because of the "go-daddy" spots. (unless it's a subliminal thing)

1984 was the best ad ever, but I've never bought any Apple product.

RJP:
Then it wasn't.

how do you ever correlate a purchase with a specific ad?

is it possible to really meassure the effect of any one ad in terms of how it influenced consumer behavior?

if yes, how is that measured?

seems like the people who make and sell ads are the strongest proponents that the things actually work :wink:

H2Andy:
how do you ever correlate a purchase with a specific ad?

Oh, it's quite easy.

Ever see the ones with 800#s in them?

But seriously, it really depends on what the ad is intended to do: Awareness, loyalty, repeat purchase, direct response, it all depends. Just funny to see someone say that it was "the best ad ever" but "never bought the product."

BTW - advertising does work. There is no doubt. There is no arguing with the premise. Of course that assumes the advertising is GOOD. BAD advertising doesn't work.

H2Andy:
is it possible to really meassure the effect of any one ad in terms of how it influenced consumer behavior?

if yes, how is that measured?

Quite easy - you look at two matched groups of people:

- those who saw the ad
- those who didn't see the ad

You then look at their behavior and see if there's a difference.

Quite common to run ads in some markets and not in other and see what happens.

RJP:
Then it wasn't.

Good ad, I just don't like their product. One of the reason our television is only connected to DVD, VCR and computer is so that we (and our childeren) are not exposed to the most virulent advertising. As you know the folks out there trying to make us buy, buy, buy are some of the best trained and talented indivuals that there are. I've had to spend a lot of time teaching my children not to respond to adverts (not always successful, but works for the most part). It helps that we eat organic, cook from scratch and absent outselves from the "consumer" world as much as possible ... I can't remember the last time any of us got malled.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom