So, I have to ask...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scratchmyback:
and....shhhhhh...we dive with snorkels.

That does not make you a dork diver. That makes you a smart diver. Unless you are diving a cave somewhere in the middle of Florida.

A dork would be someone who wants to look like a cave diver, without a snorkel, someplace on open water, where there are no caves within 1000 miles, or someone who has never been in a cave, but still wants to look like a cave diver, without a snorkel.

On the surface, in the open water, your snorkel is your most valuable piece of gear. Only a dork would choose to ignor this safety feature and dive in the open water without one. These dorks often use the rhetorical argument (rhetoric) that a snorkel serves no purpose underwater. Well, DUH!

pennypue:
Here's my DORKY scooter. :D

P7070047.jpg

That is a beautiful, state of the art, DPV!

A dork is someone who would be using one of those heavier models, which you need a hand truck to get into and out of the water!

Walter:
Not to worry, Pete, you're an IT guy. You fit right in, buddy.

Our I/T guys here at work are pretty dork-ie, indeed. They wear wierd clothes, they drive ugly cars, and they never venture far away from their P/C screens or server terminals.

I think that once you certify for scuba, that most people would agree that you are cool, and no longer qualify as a total dork. But then, it's just a word. And like Johnny Depp said, "Sticks and stones ... ."

nereas:
A dork would be someone who wants to look like a cave diver, without a snorkel, someplace on open water, where there are no caves within 1000 miles, or someone who has never been in a cave, but still wants to look like a cave diver, without a snorkel.

Yep thats me. :D I never wear a snorkel at all because mine was stolen by a couple of bully teenage harbor seals. They were very mean too :(, pulling on my hoses, fins, and poking at me like I'm some sort of nerd creature. :rofl3:

NetDoc:
Is there a specific indorktrination that you have to follow to join???

This is my indorktrination:
Teamcasa bought me a couple of beers
I have 3 snorkels .. and leave them at home ... but my buddy (male) has a pink snorkel
I dive with sunglasses .. I find those more useful than the snorkel here in South California
I measure all the rocks I see
I know all the fishes ... but I keep forgetting their names
I have a long hose ... and almost strangled myself
My dive computer is 10 years old ... maybe I should rig up a new one?
My sense of humor is so weird that costed me an expulsion from a well respected site (so they think)
I have been told that I am wired differently

Am I a dork?

Regards,

I_AM

I_AM:
NetDoc:
Is there a specific indorktrination that you have to follow to join???

This is my indorktrination:
Teamcasa bought me a couple of beers
I have 3 snorkels .. and leave them at home ... but my buddy (male) has a pink snorkel
I dive with sunglasses .. I find those more useful than the snorkel here in South California
I measure all the rocks I see
I know all the fishes ... but I keep forgetting their names
I have a long hose ... and almost strangled myself
My dive computer is 10 years old ... maybe I should rig up a new one?
My sense of humor is so weird that costed me an expulsion from a well respected site (so they think)
I have been told that I am wired differently

Am I a dork?

Regards,

I_AM

Where is that famous nerd poster when we need it?

RoyN:
Yep thats me. :D I never wear a snorkel at all because mine was stolen by a couple of bully teenage harbor seals. They were very mean too, pulling on my hoses, fins, and poking at me like I'm some sort of nerd creature.

I think we need to pay attention more to the hoses, on you. And that plastic whistle.

nereas:
I love trimix. I dove with it twice just yesterday (7/28/2007). I keep 2 sets of doubles ready to go with TMX 20/40 for any dives in the range of 100-200 fsw, and another 2 sets of doubles ready to go with TMX 30/30 for any dives in the range of 100 fsw.

I compute my SAC rates for every dive, and always log it into my notebook.

My gear costs a fortune, since I buy only the best of the best (ScubaPro, PST, Sartek, X-Scooter, etc.)
For your diving, having fun means having sweet mixes, doing the math, and buying the good stuff. For my diving, while I don't use trimix (I very rarely see a third digit in depth), I'm usually in a drysuit with Jets and all that, and the only dives I *don't* compute SAC for are the training dives working with OW students. (I don't compute SAC, as I don't have a way to find a valid average depth or dive time for those.) The thing is, none of that matters. Dork Divers are defined merely by enjoying their diving and not browbeating others.

nereas:
When I think of a dork diver, I think of someone who:

1) leaves their snorkel behind on open water dives;
2) uses split fins;
3) has their tank dangling so low on their B/C by a single tank strap that it is bound to fall off sometime during this dive or the next;
4) does fins-on entries on beach dives;
5) crawls on beach exits;
6) wears their mask on their forehead;
7) drags their console and/or octo around without securing it;
8) does not check their SPG and runs OOA;
9) is a huge liability to anyone else in the water.
3, 4, 7, 8, and 9 aren't Dork Diver traits. They're just poor diver traits.

1 and 6 aren't the best ideas -- there are places they're *bad* ideas, but there are also places they're not a problem at all. As for 5, it isn't ideal, but it doesn't make you a doofus; it just means that you need to work on it or perhaps that you're just wiped after having your lunch handed to you by Neptune.

Now, as for your number 2, correlation does not equal causation. Bad divers may wear splits, but even I, a Jet aficionado to the core, have a pair of splits for touring dives. I don't use them much, but they're better than Jets for those dives. (They're also apparently useful if you've got really, really bad joints.)

Anyway, your concept of Dork Divers is apparently your concept of "divers you'd call dorks", but Dork Divers are not at all the same thing. Dork Divers simply make it a point to have fun and not be jerks. We can see a train wreck and try to help him, but we're not going to see someone diving perfectly well in splits and call them an idiot because they're not wearing Jets with spring straps. :D

nereas:
That is a beautiful, state of the art, DPV!

A dork is someone who would be using one of those heavier models, which you need a hand truck to get into and out of the water!
So it's not Dorky to have a tiara on your scooter? Sweeeet. (I really wanted it painted purple........) What if the most use it has seen has been a few wreck dives in Lake Erie and a couple of midwestern quarries?

Oh, and no snorkel. Gets in the way of my long hose. :14:
If the water is rough on the surface I just breathe my backgas. That's why I've got so much. :D

Back
Top Bottom