So I am not the only person roasting this moron....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with the Chairman. Give this guy the benefit of the doubt. Also, I heard him say that his plan to go out when he ran out of air was to breath from his BC in and out until he lost consciousness from Co2 build up rather than suffer drowning by trying to breath water-- not that he was breathing from the BC while he still had air.

I've met Cowboy a few times, and I've worked with his mother for the last decade or so.
I'm quite sure he doesn't do drugs, and I've never known him to be a big drinker. I do know that he's not the most eloquent speaker under any circumstances.
I know for a fact that he has been diving since he was in high school. I do not know any specifics about his technical training.
This sounds to me exactly like what I'd expect from him while describing a terrifying situation in terms that non-divers will understand to some degree.

AFAIK, BSAC (and a few others). "Right rich, left lean". How to Switch your Diving Gas - SDI | TDI | ERDI

Exactly. Who wears their bottles on the right? In PSAI advanced nitrox and trimix the recommendation is "right rich, left lean," but in a cave environment bottles are usually dropped. You'd drop O2 at 20 feet in a perfect world. 80% at 30 feet, 50% at 70 feet, etc. We try not to carry deco bottles past their MOD. Or, if it was a place like Ginnie, you'd drop it somewhere inside where snorkelers or misbehaving open water divers won't find it. This keeps the right side clean for long hose deployment. I haven't seen a backmount cave diver with a right side bottle since ... I don't even know when.

Thought we solved how to stow the long hose and where bottles go in cave diving last century?

Cowboy is a MMA fighter that runs and guns. He lives life to the fullest. Taking a quick scan through his Instagram account shows this guy lives life while taking a punch. He talks deco and can be seen in doubles and side mount. Lets see how you would be talking after being punched in the head for a career. I believe him and his story. Sure, maybe he built some of it up for the interview but that's how Conor McGregor got to where he is now $$$. People love thrilling stories. We are watching the video as divers who know to much. The normal MMA fan ate this story up

Thought we solved how to stow the long hose and where bottles go in cave diving last century?[/QUOTE]

Try telling that to Cowboy...

Attachments

• 459084A0-A998-4105-BC9F-DA3C815EB832.jpeg
    459084A0-A998-4105-BC9F-DA3C815EB832.jpeg
    121.2 KB · Views: 266
I'd bet he embellished a little - maybe a lot.
It sounded a lot like panic to me. The thing that he embellished in my mind was his air. He admitted to huffing and then keeps claiming to have an hour or so left.

This is typical of people who are undertrained and have little experience when they try to act like the big boys. It seems to happen a lot in Mexico and I've heard a lot of these kinds of stories. Most people have never had a bad incident happen to them under water, have never experienced true or even near panic. It's easy to 'roast' a guy, but not for me. I don't know how I would handle panic, mostly because I've never been there. I've been in a silt out caused by someone else and that was frightening. Heck, I've caused a silt out in an OW situation and that was scary too. Live and learn. Just don't invite karma into your next dive.

Most cave divers are very careful to portray cave diving in a way that accurately reflects the risks and training to the general public. I understand the entertainment industry and the need for attention-grabbing headlines, riveting stories, etc. I don't follow MMA, but looking at Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone's social media sites and background, he seems like he'd be the type of guy I'd like to ride a horse with, go to the range and shoot with etc. The Thai cave rescue really did a lot to show the public that cave divers aren't just going into caves like maverick adrenaline junkies. Let's try not to damage public perception. I've worn cave diving T-shirts for years and rarely had anyone comment or ask about cave diving. During the media coverage about the rescue, I had lots of people stop me and talk to me about cave diving. I was impressed with the questions people had and their level of understanding. The overwhelming reaction was that people thought we were crazy until the rescue. The Thai rescue made them see us in the same light as mountain rescue teams and draw a comparison between skilled climbers working with rope and skilled divers working with line/rope. I hope if this was real that he'll do something to keep public perception of cave diving positive.

It sounded a lot like panic to me. The thing that he embellished in my mind was his air. He admitted to huffing and then keeps claiming to have an hour or so left.

This is typical of people who are undertrained and have little experience when they try to act like the big boys. It seems to happen a lot in Mexico and I've heard a lot of these kinds of stories. Most people have never had a bad incident happen to them under water, have never experienced true or even near panic. It's easy to 'roast' a guy, but not for me. I don't know how I would handle panic, mostly because I've never been there. I've been in a silt out caused by someone else and that was frightening. Heck, I've caused a silt out in an OW situation and that was scary too. Live and learn. Just don't invite karma into your next dive.
I am still amazed at the seeming acceptance of the way he handled his buddy’s distress and his attitude. Is this the way cave diving is IRL? Was there not a better way to manage this?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom