So I am not the only person roasting this moron....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The guy sounds legit to me and here you go telling us how illegitimate he is. Are you a cave diver? Have you been in a silt out? You keep dodging this question.

I am not a cave diver and I am not dodging the question. In point of fact if you go back and read my post which started this thread I state as much but here is my question for you...can you really listen to him talk about inflating his bouyancy compensator inside an overhead environment before his tanks are depleted with the hope that he will be able to eventually breathe out of his BC and take him seriously? Since you seem to think he’s as you put it “legit”, is that something you would do or advocate for? I am no cave diver but that just strikes me as obviously absurd....but if you have a rational explanation...I am always open to learning something I had not before now considered.

an you really listen to him talk about inflating his bouyancy compensator inside an overhead environment before his tanks are depleted with the hope that he will be able to eventually breathe out of his BC and take him seriously?
There have been threads on doing just that here on SB. People overthink things all the time.
but if you have a rational explanation.
His buddy panicked, silted out the place and freaked the Homer right out. The guy is not that lucid, but I can hear the fear in his voice. It's palpable and I hope others hear that too and stay out.

Do I dive like him? No. Would I dive like him? No. I definitely wouldn't dive with his buddy.

I think he probably has some diving experience but from the little I know of cave diving, he admits to breaking some of the basic rules I was taught.

Just like a handful of things taught in OW classes, there are things you learn in cave class that many cave divers just don't do for a variety of reasons. Perfect example is that in cave you are taught to always run a continuous guideline to the surface. Go look at the entrance to Ginnie. What you won't see is lines run by the 10 divers who are at varying points in their dive. If you waited for all the divers to come out, you would probably get a handful of answers about why they didn't do it.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I'm just saying that it is.

Just like a handful of things taught in OW classes, there are things you learn in cave class that many cave divers just don't do for a variety of reasons. Perfect example is that in cave you are taught to always run a continuous guideline to the surface. Go look at the entrance to Ginnie. What you won't see is lines run by the 10 divers who are at varying points in their dive. If you waited for all the divers to come out, you would probably get a handful of answers about why they didn't do it.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I'm just saying that it is.
And I get that and did consider that. But cutting off a functioning light? Does this make sense? Inflating and crawling inverted on the cave ceiling?

And his talk of everyone for themselves. Who teaches that? And of course his “panicking” buddy with “poor motor skills” seems to have made it out just fine.

It just sounds too much like someone with a knowlege of diving that screwed up and is now embellishing the story for drama.

But cutting off a functioning light? Does this make sense?
It does in Mexico. You never know when there might be an exit lurking and you won't see it with your light on. Covering it is traditional, but with today's LEDs turning it off is fine. Also, in extreme silt outs, the light can confuse the crap out of you.

In full disclosure I only have a cavern cert, but there are many, many glaring issues here. Apparently this cave was very susceptible to silting, so why would you purposely crawl on the ceiling stirring up God knows what AND let go of the main line leading out of the cave in the process? What happened to the third tank? Did he drain it too? Is this why he believed it to be essential to fully inflate his BC in an overhead environment and “breathe” off of it? Obviously this scared the bejesus out of him, but my question is, doesn’t it appear diver panic exacerbated these problems exponentially? Hopefully he will seek out additional cave training with a different instructor to address these types of scenarios.

And I get that and did consider that. But cutting off a functioning light? Does this make sense? Inflating and crawling inverted on the cave ceiling?

And his talk of everyone for themselves. Who teaches that? And of course his “panicking” buddy with “poor motor skills” seems to have made it out just fine.

It just sounds too much like someone with a knowledge of diving that screwed up and is now embellishing the story for drama.
The light thing could. I don't know why you would want to be pinned to the ceiling. I'd bet he embellished a little - maybe a lot. He may or may not be a "good" cave diver but he sounds like he knows enough that he's definitely taken a cave class to me.

The fact that he got out of the silt, found the gold line, and then didn't maintain touch contact with the line to get back through the silt cloud kind of bothered me. We practiced a lights out exit the very first time I went into a cave during classes. I can't remember if that was "cave1 or cave2". We definitely did it my first time in. Once he found that line he should have been perfectly capable of getting to the exit. Instead he made it sound like he tried to make it back through the silt cloud by sight.

I think you've got to keep in mind, this is a performance for some kind of entertainment show by an entertainer. Also, this guy is wasted when he's telling the story.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom