So how well does Oceanic's Dual Algorithm work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefvagabond

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking to buy my first computer and thinking about Oceanic's line because of it's dual algorithm feature. It seems pretty convenient to be able to change how conservative you want your computer to be to dive with others. So how well does it work for real? Can you switch it up to dive with Suunto, Zeagle, Uwatec, Sherwood, Tusa, etc computers?

Algorithms are models based on pre-defined data. Dive computer will not keep you safe. They are tools to help guide you. I don't make use of a computer to make my dives more conservative, it’s a mindset and an understanding/planning before I get into the water.

The Oceanic is a good dive computer; I would decide on one algorithm and stick with it. You can always dive shallower/shorter if you want to be more conservative.

I dive an Oceanic VT3, before that a Pro Plus 2, before that a Pro Plus. I like the liberal Pelagic Pressure Systems/DSAT algorithm. I can always dive more conservatively using my computer, I have no need for the dual algorithm.

Good diving, Craig

From what i understand is-- easy rec diving--- not tooo deeep--- use the dsat... Its a bit more libral-- which is ok on easier dives.. But if your doing more tech/harder dives-- or lots of multiple dives (like on multi day dive boat)-- then Pelagic would be the alg to use.. Its a bit more conservative-- keeps ya safe....

One's based on the DSAT/PADI research, & the other is based on Buhlmanns. I don't think the Buhlmann version uses gradient factors, so they're both single phase, bend & mend style algorithms. The Buhlmann version should be the little more conservative of the two.

You ca't really equate a "conservative algorithm", with, "safe from DCS".

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom