So how have the Mola Mola sightings at Nusa Penida been so far?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leejnd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We leave this week to head to Bali, and will spend two days diving at Nusa Penida. Just wondering how the Mola Mola season has gone so far. Last time I was in Bali I also spent three days diving at Nusa Penida, right around this same time of year, and never saw a single one. I'm well aware that could happen again this time, but...what the heck, I'm gonna give it another shot.

Part of me wanted to not bother trying again. Not that Crystal Bay isn't a lovely dive spot, but the currents can sure be strong and you spend a lot of time waiting for them at the wall that could be better spent exploring the more shallow coral. But the chance of seeing one is drawing me back! To be honest, I'd probably bail if it wasn't for the Manta Point dives...seeing Manta Rays is always a huge thrill for me.

So I'm hopeful! Would love to hear how things have been going this season.

LOL Hey Russ! :) I've actually seen Mola-Mola here, but not while diving...I've seen them sunning themselves on the surface when we were out sailing on our boat. But they have always been small -- 1 to 2 ft tops. The ones we might see in Crystal Bay (if we get lucky!) can be as big as a Volkswagen!

Of course we're not going to Bali just for the Mola-Mola -- we're diving at four different locations around the island -- but it sure would be icing on the cake if I finally get to see one this time. Send us some lucky vibes!

I had two the other day, not at Crystal Bay though, too many people there. Try to get your operator to take you to another location for them, Crystal Bay is way too overcrowded.
Has been a much better year this year for Mola than last year was

Been great over the last 2 weeks. Had 4 at Crystal 10 days ago, then 5 the next day. 6 days ago, I was greeted by one at Toyapakeh. 2 days ago I had one at Manta Point, then yesterday I saw one at Biaha. Been quite amazing thus far, but it's sometimes best to avoid Crystal Bay...

5? Nice! With Crystal, I should edit my above to mean: don't go at peak time between 9am and 230pm, if you can go outside of those times (current depending) then it's much less crowded..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom