so cal hunting info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MntbikerBamBam

Registered
Reaction score
i am currently to get my diving cert, and my ultimate goal is to take some night diving courses as well as learning how to hunt, lobster and hopfully do some spearing. Yes i know i should focus on diving first, which i plan to. but i was woundering if i could get some information about Socal spearfishing and or lobster hunting. if anyone has any links i would appriciate it. also if anyone knows where would be a good place for me to start around OC.
Thanks!

Empty V:
Check out the hunting forum, be careful, a lot of the people that post there are wise-asses http://www.scubaboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=302

Billy

SO, does that make you the wise-Ar$$$ pusher???? Or the Pot??? Or maybe the Kettle???

Seriously... BamBam Boy, try out a freediving class after you are certified... I think Laguna Sea Sports may have some info on where/who to take one with. If you are getting into scuba to hunt, you are taking the wrong classes.

Oh, and NO ONE gives up their sweet spots... dude... you need to learn that hard lesson NOW!

Empty V:
It's just like what I used to tell my mom, better a wiseass than a dumbass. Although for some reason I always seem to relate to the latter.

Billy

No, I think you are more of the former...

Bambam shootem up,

A hunting class maybe a start. Suggest that you check them out. Personally I have never been impressed with the content of the courses or the fuzzy faced instructors.

I would also check out underwater hunting clubs, you will gleen more from that type of an association than you will in most courses. After you have been around for a while and proven your self they will share--techniques and the famed "Secret Spots."

Two Clubs that come immediately to mind are:
~~~Sea Sabres established in 1953, the oldest coninually active SCUBA diving hunting club in US, maybe the world, so thay have a lot of vintage divers who will take you under their wing..I think they are currenty meeting in Brea.

~~~The Long Beach Neptunes established in 1947, they are the second oldest spear fishing club in world behind the Bottom Scratchers which were formed in 1932 (FYI spear fishing is breathe hold diving --Using SCUBA is fish shooting) They meet in Paramont. They do not accept members openly -- you must apply and become a provisional member and prove your self, be voted in to membership...Longest provisional was over 9 years-- but you are young. The LB Neptunes set and hold more Spear fishing World Records than any other club.

May I suggest that you check these and other clubs out in California diving news (CDN.)

OC is a great place to dive and spearfish--I prefer that over shooting fish with SCUBA which is like shooting a cow in a feed lot--Several spearfishing world records were set off the beaches in OC; the Black Sea Bass, 480 pounds in 1960--when is was legal and the White Sea Bass, 70+ in 1973.

Good luck and keep in touch.

SDM,
(FYI yes I held a spearfishing record!)

SoCalAngel:
SO, does that make you the wise-Ar$$$ pusher???? Or the Pot??? Or maybe the Kettle???

Seriously... BamBam Boy, try out a freediving class after you are certified... I think Laguna Sea Sports may have some info on where/who to take one with. If you are getting into scuba to hunt, you are taking the wrong classes.

Oh, and NO ONE gives up their sweet spots... dude... you need to learn that hard lesson NOW!

No no im not looking for their hidden spot, i just dont want to be walking out of the water with a catch and have fish and game writting me up a tickey. you know?
And hunting isnt my only goal, it just seems like it will be alot of fun.

sam miller:
Bambam shootem up,

A hunting class maybe a start. Suggest that you check them out. Personally I have never been impressed with the content of the courses or the fuzzy faced instructors.

I would also check out underwater hunting clubs, you will gleen more from that type of an association than you will in most courses. After you have been around for a while and proven your self they will share--techniques and the famed "Secret Spots."

Two Clubs that come immediately to mind are:
~~~Sea Sabres established in 1953, the oldest coninually active SCUBA diving hunting club in US, maybe the world, so thay have a lot of vintage divers who will take you under their wing..I think they are currenty meeting in Brea.

~~~The Long Beach Neptunes established in 1947, they are the second oldest spear fishing club in world behind the Bottom Scratchers which were formed in 1932 (FYI spear fishing is breathe hold diving --Using SCUBA is fish shooting) They meet in Paramont. They do not accept members openly -- you must apply and become a provisional member and prove your self, be voted in to membership...Longest provisional was over 9 years-- but you are young. The LB Neptunes set and hold more Spear fishing World Records than any other club.

May I suggest that you check these and other clubs out in California diving news (CDN.)

OC is a great place to dive and spearfish--I prefer that over shooting fish with SCUBA which is like shooting a cow in a feed lot--Several spearfishing world records were set off the beaches in OC; the Black Sea Bass, 480 pounds in 1960--when is was legal and the White Sea Bass, 70+ in 1973.

Good luck and keep in touch.

SDM,
(FYI yes I held a spearfishing record!)

Thanks that sounds like a good start, but first i need to get my cert and get a couple dozen dives under my belt, so i dont kill myself :wink:

"MntbikerBamBamThanks that sounds like a good start, but first i need to get my cert and get a couple dozen dives under my belt, so i dont kill myself "

It will take a long time to become comfortable and master the art

In the orgianizations I mentioned you will be playing with the big boys and you will need experience--but they can guide you along the way so your armentarium you select is correct.

Might want to slip into their meetings after certification.

SDM

sam miller:
"MntbikerBamBamThanks that sounds like a good start, but first i need to get my cert and get a couple dozen dives under my belt, so i dont kill myself "

It will take a long time to become comfortable and master the art

In the orgianizations I mentioned you will be playing with the big boys and you will need experience--but they can guide you along the way so your armentarium you select is correct.

Might want to slip into their meetings after certification.

SDM

lol well it just makes sense that you would want to know what your doing before you start to what i would call "run with scissors" (carry around a big deadly sharp object)

but slipping in sounds good. i live in la habra ( city next to brea) so it should be easy for me to go to a few and see whats up. but first im going to worry about the cert and not turning myself into an anchor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom