Snorkels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scywin

Reaction score
I've tried a couple different snorkels and they all seem to require a lot of work to clear the water and then don't move as much air as a regulator even though you are at the surface. I'd like to get a decent snorkel so I am not blowing through air on the surface.

I would appreciate recommendations.

Thanks

Moving lots of air has to do with the diameter of your snorkel tube....larger diameter = easier breathing. Sharp bends can also have an effect, but IMHO diameter is the key. The best thing is to hunt around to every scuba source you can think of, looking for the largest diameter snorkel you can find. I actually found one while diving with a diameter larger than I have ever seen (don't worry, I sterilized it before using). It doesn't have a manufacturer stamped on it, or I would pick up another, since the purge isn't overly reliable. The air-flow difference between my "standard" snorkel and the "found" one is quite apparent.

The best snorkel I have used is the Impulse Flex by Aqualung. Has a great purge system on the bottom, and also a purge on the top (shaped like an upside down cone). It is a little high profile, and does create some drag underwater. But, for on the surface, it is wonderful. Plus, the mouthpiece is a comfo-bite, so you don't have to grip it with your teeth and kill your jaw.

It is so good, that I forget it is a snorkel and not a reg. Which causes some problems when I try to free dive down, and try to breath through it at 15ft!

I have had a few snorkels in my time (I've been snorkelling since I could swim) and can honestly say that a ordinary, simple snorkel with no valves, swivels, flexi-bits and so forth is the best.bio guy is right about the diameter too. Look for a no frills model and you won't go far wrong.

Incidentally, many experienced divers either don't use one or keep them in BCD pocket etc. Mine is usually in my suit leg pocket. I dive quite a lot in kelp and find that it catches the snorkel and displaces my mask. I use an Oceanic model which is compact and has a quick attach loop.

i just got an Oceanic snorkel myself called "the pocket snorkel". It has two flexi parts so it folds up, its exactly what i need and it stows in either my leg pocket on my dry suit or just about anywhere i want to put it :)

Aegir,

I saw those in the Oceanic catalogue and thought that it would be suitable for my needs.The pocket I put mine into is really for a knife and the top of the snorkel sticks out. I'm going to the dive shop tomorrow to kit my girlfriend up with some basic kit (she's doing the OW in May-brave girl) I might pick one up.

This is my 2nd Scubapro "Shotgun", and I find the large bore plus the fast drain/purge make it a very easy-breathing snorkel.

~SubMariner~

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom