Snorkels and where you hide them

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A snorkel is very good to keep around. Two days ago at work; one of the DM's brought up some air divers (while the nitrox divers stayed down missing the action lol) to be greeted by four spotted dolphin who stuck around for a good 5 minutes. When that happens it's good to inflate your bc and ditch your gear so you can swim with them.

Or course I stood on the boat and watched since I gave up my turn to dive so that he could dive with a friend who was visiting. grrr

But when needed I have one of the rubber ones folded up nice and small and in one of my bc pockets.

When I grew up wreck diving off of NJ in 1970 we all had the old J snorkels stuck in a golf club tube attached to the knives strapped to our leg. We didn't want anything hanging loose. Years later when I resumed diving I tried the same method. The first giant stride off the boat in Belize I checked my gear and the snorkel was 50 feet down, sitting on the bottom :11: . We did back rolls in NJ. :rofl3:

Now I have an old style J snorkle (from Cressi) that I stick in the weight pocket of my BC. It's always there and out the way. I would not dive without one. I hate to use my air on the surface waiting for people, and you never know when you are going to end up a long way from the boat - no matter what the plan.

Where do you get a fold-up snorkel? I havent seen them sold anywhere...

I ditched my snorkel for lack of an appriopiate place to stick it but I'm considering strapping it to my tank on future dives.

http://www.scuba.com/shop/diving.asp_cat_39_scuba_1_gear_039005_pn_OCEANIC-POCKET-SEMI-DRY-SNORKEL

Oceanic%20Pocket%20Snorkel.jpg

I have a Seaquest Balance BC with weight pockets. The shoulderblade level pockets in the back have a drainage hole in one corner. I have found that the top portion of my snorkel will slip through this hole and out the pocket top. I attached a octo keeper near the bottom of the BC and put the snorkel mouthpiece through it. The snorkel lies under an inflatable part of BC and is almost completely out of site, but can be easily grasped with one hand and removed equally easily. Your BC design may be different, but probably most could be easily modified to accomplish the same thing as mine.

clipped to mask, also.....much better than inside the wetsuit...ouch!

So is wearing a snorkel like wearing a helmet on a bike (only the dorks do it)? Oh well, guess I'm a dork, I got a really cool helmet too :)

Whats a snorkle? Is that the thing that doubles as a beer bong in tropical destenations?:rofl3:

Scuba-Jay:
Ive got a suggestion for ya' :mooner:

Sorry to disappoint but my arse isn't that big. But there do seem to be a few on this forum !

Thanks to all those with serious responses though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom