Snorkeling photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gypsgal,

Nice shots! Love, love this one...

attachment.php

Using weights takes some getting used from an endurance perspective and some trial and error finding the best weight to achieve neutral buoyancy. I now tend to skip the weights and rely on my camera's image stabilization, not quite as good, but fine for shallower free dives.

Thanks Testudo , I will check it out all my options for a weight belt. ..Or maybe I will just do as you say and rely on image stabilalization. I am determined to get better shots next year, I will have more time to practice and some of my snorkelling buddies are also getting camera's for snorkelling next year. I think I have to practice my breathing just before diving. It seems there is so much to think about, the sunlight, keeping an eye on your fish and just getting down there. Thanks for al your advice. Is there a site dedicated to teaching snorkelling photography?

Last edited:
I had the pleasure of being in Utila, Honduras for 10 days earlier this month. We stayed at Slumberland Villas in the Blue Bayou section of Utila. Snorkeling was very good right offshore with great coral formations, although the water was slightly murky. I'm picky and would like to see 100 ft. vis like you get in Curacao or Cozumel, but off Slumberland the vis was typically 30-40 ft. Blue Bayou is pretty much the only place on Utila that has good offshore snorkeling and from which you can walk or bike to Utila town.
Here are the pics:
underwater: Utila, Honduras 2013 snorkeling - a set on Flickr
above water: Utila, Honduras 2013 above water - a set on Flickr
I was the one who originally started this thread, and I am glad to see it is still going along.

---------- Post added March 30th, 2013 at 04:05 PM ----------

Thanks Testudo , I will check it out all my options for a weight belt. ..Or maybe I will just do as you say and rely on image stabilalization. I am determined to get better shots next year, I will have more time to practice and some of my snorkelling buddies are also getting camera's for snorkelling next year. I think I have to practice my breathing just before diving. It seems there is so much to think about, the sunlight, keeping an eye on your fish and just getting down there. Thanks for al your advice. Is there a site dedicated to teaching snorkelling photography?
As a very avid snorkeler who attempts to take uw photos, I consider a weight belt to be essential. It will really help you get down with the fish. I find no hindrance at all of using a weight belt, although it is pretty much second nature to me now. You just need to have the right amount of weight so you have a slight positive bouyancy at the surface. The other thing that helps in taking good snorkeling photos is to be as motionless as possible when taking the shot. Even with a weight belt, it is almost impossible when snorkeling to control your buoyancy or to keep steady in a surge. For me, this means I usually hold on to a rock with one hand while taking the photo with the other hand. Extremely "green" people may not like the idea of ever touching the bottom, but I try to make sure that I hold on to a rock, not coral.

Shooting video while snorkeling is actually easier. Lighting is easier, and composition is easier.... Here is a video I shot while snorkeling in about 14 feet of water, amidst close to a mile long baitball :)
It does help if you can hold your breath a little over a minute though...which anyone can do if they just practice a little.

[video=youtube;zhuffVfpiXY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhuffVfpiXY&feature=share&list=UUsM5Za9Kc3 DbP7Qo3-Zmz9w[/video]

Thanks Testudo. You would like Utila, although there are less snorkeling options than on Roatan. Utila town in my opinion is much more attractive than any of the towns on Roatan and has more of a true Bay Islands culture. You can see similarities in architecture between Utila and Cayman; Utila was originally settled by Caymanians in the 1830s and 1840s. Utila does attract a much younger crowd than Roatan because of its cheaper accommodations and diving, and a lot of partying goes on at night in town. I was far enough out of town that it didn't bother me much.

Testudo, those are some great images, especially the first one of the French angel and the coral crab out in the open during daytime.

Finally getting around to finishing up my 2012 pics from Aruba, and figured I'd contribute a few to this great thread ... #1-6 were taken at Malmok, 7 and 8 are at Arashi reef.

019-3_edited-3.jpg002-4.jpg013-1_edited4.jpg057-1_edited-6.jpg
022-2.jpg028-3.jpg072-4.jpg119-8.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom