Snorkeling photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sting Ray or Manta Ray Remains; or maybe a Trunkfish?

attachment.php

Run over by an UW steam roller??:wink:

In case you wanna check it out, I got an album of pretty much all the 'leftovers'(incl. the hook it got caught on) over in the gallery ...

No mistake at all! I happen to snorkel often and take lots of pictures. I kind of feel like I am hogging the thread if there are no other folks posting. Therefore don't post until there has been some activity. It's just been awhile since there have been any new contributions.

So please, please post as much as you like! The thread is filled with lots of great pictures and more are always welcome!.

As for vibrant colors in pictures, my secret is maximizing the natural light from the sun, an underwater setting on my camera and Google's Picasa editing software (just the "I'm Feeling Lucky" auto optimizing). If you look back a few pages there is a pretty in depth discussion on how to optimize images. I've summarized my techniques here: TESTUDO'S SNORKEL GUIDE Cayman Off the Beaten Path, SNORKELING PICTURE TAKING TIPS AND ADVICE ...

Though looks like you do a fine job editing. The snorkelers and that shrimp are awesome images.

Thanks I've learned a lot from you and Dave C along with others on the board

Last edited:
Nice shots! Loved the Squid and Filefish. Where (what beach or reef) was that patch of coral and sea plumes located?

An Orange Spotted Filefish from one of my recent visits to Grand Cayman, plus a few others:

P5030778.JPG

P2280365.JPG

P2260200.JPG

P2260220.JPG

P2280472.JPG

Thanks, Testudo! The scenic shot is from Mangel Halto Reef, probably my favorite spot in Aruba(Pos Chikitu). Great diversity all around; you move 20-30m(all within 100m of the shore line), and the UW land scape is totally different. Excellent for 'snork-diving', as the depth ranges from 10 to about 50ft. Best of all, very few tour boats or people in general, we've had whole days out there, enjoying reef all by ourselves.

As for your pics, my favorites would be #2, 3(love the eyes on that Burrfish), and 4 ... good stuff, as always ...

Last edited:
"Occupied!!" ... A couple of moments before, I was where that Eel is ... Definitely let me know, I wasn't welcome. Took the shot after the mess, my somewhat hasty retreat had stirred up, settled.

006-5-r.jpg

Boca Catalina ... After shooting the Crab, I realized someone else was home. Big Green Moray, wonder if it was the same one I had first seen there(boulder pile in about 5' of water, 20' or so from the beach), on our second trip to Aruba in 07, and subsequent years ...

147-1-r.jpg

Here's a pic of the 'business end', ... #1 is the original and, as you can see, quite a mess ... Boring Sunday morning, so I decided to give it a bit of a 'work-over'(PSE 9), just for the hell of it ...

231-r.jpg231-1-r.jpg231-3-r.jpg

Gotta love Morays. They do tend to hangout in general areas, year after year. One morning I caught one resting in a crevasse where all I could see was a portion of its body. Took a few snaps, but nothing great came of it. Went out later that day for an early evening snorkel, without my camera, and of course his head is poking out. I could dive down and look him right in the eyes. Almost positive it was this same one I was able to photograph almost exactly year earlier.

P7020209.JPG

Very cool shot. Do you have a site just for your photos? If so, I would like the link.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom