Snorkeling at Makena Landing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rmarrash

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Been in Maui this week and although we were not able to dive today I decided to go and Snorkel Makena Landing. I must say, i was truely impressed with this site. Made me sad i did not get to dive it but the snorkeling was truely great. We were in an area that had about 8 Turtles, most of which were napping but we saw a few that were not shy about swimming pretty close to us. Lots of marine life at this site, and with the morning sun light shining through the shallow water it made for some great pictures.

The corel was in really wonderful shape. This surprised me since it was so close to shore. We were pretty much alone. It made me wonder why more people don't take the time to come down and snorkel at a place like this as opposed to Black Rock which I was not at all impressed with. Makes me wonder what could be a better place than Makena Landing for Snorkeling :)

Luckily, we get to go dive Lanai tomorrow and then Thursday it's back to the mainland.

Russell

It was fantastic down there today. Here's some cool stuff I saw...

Don't worry about the sharks. They don't seem too interested in people. I still would recommend having someone with local knowledge go with you when you venture out of the bay there. It can be real nice some days but it can also get real rough. Don't expect the millionaires in the luxury homes to offer much help if you accidentally got in trouble out there.

Thansk for sharing Doug! Very nice vids!

Sean

Thanks Sean....hey did you notice something in the turtle shot? Everyone's cruising in Mor-Fins! I'm using them exclusively now for my dive friends. (By the way, anyone want to buy some used fins? I have about fifteen pairs of various brands for sale...cheap!) Great for folks who aren't used to kicking fins. They make it easier to become a diver, just like that! I got a couple pairs in (yum yum) yellow that look extra good on video. Have you tried them yet? They work just fine for snorkeling too.

Last edited:
I haven't tried them yet but I did try some splits last week due to a gear snafu which left me without my Jet fins.. I have the Large Jetfins and I really love how easy they are to kick and maneuver.. I would imagine the Mor Fins are similar. It seems lots of divers have way more power than they need and end up kicking up tons of sand by accident... I'd bet they feel more comfortable in the smaller fins... I'd say in this case, Less is Mor! :)

Sean

I still would recommend having someone with local knowledge go with you when you venture out of the bay there.

I know Doug. We ended up being lazy that day and just driving around so did not arrange any Scuba. I kept telling my wife it's too bad we did not do a shore dive in this place, hated being stuck on the surface! :)

We did the Cathederal 1 and Knob Hill today. They were nice, we did get to see a few white tips in the Cathederal. But I would still say we saw as much marine life at Makena Landing as we did on our Lanai dives today. Hence, I can see why you are such an advocate of Maui shore dives and make your business doing it :) People not doing them can really miss out. Oh well, this was our first trip to Maui and I am sure it wont be our last.

Russell

Back
Top Bottom