Snorkel when at a shore diving destination?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would rethink the Moped idea from a cost perspective - it doesn't make sense.

Scooters Bonaire rents the smaller ones for $25/day - I can't tell if that includes the damage waver etc. You're also going to have a cab ride to get the scooter, the rental shops are all closer to downtown (catering to the cruisers) and the airport is not. That may be most of one days rental cost each way. There is no bus on Bonaire.

At the dive sites you can't leave anything while you're in the water as the kids will steal it. Really it's the same problem with a truck but there's a few places to hide stuff on a truck and you can haul and leave tanks in back safely - no one takes them as they can't be refilled anywhere but at the shop they're tented from.

I think diving one tank then having to go back and get another one would be a PITA.

You're going to have a little difficulty getting to some dive sites - esp. south as they're off the road and usually thru sand for at least a few hundred yards. Better have REAL good balance.
It would work at some of the northern sites since parking is just off the main road and the carry to the water is the same for everyone. Also you can "dive the resorts" as many are also named dive sites and paved. You do need to notify the shop onsite and Habitat is the only one afaik to charge a small fee - probably $10 now.

Here's an alternative to consider - AB Carrental.
Tjheir lowest price truck rental is #29.50 per day.
That includes the CDWaiver, Free Airport pickup/dropoff and they even offer tanks/fills.

Although I might get tanks from Dive Friends instead as they have 4-5 locations where you can exchange tanks.

AB Car Rental Bonaire - Our Rental Rates<

You'll have a lot better/safer time for under $30/wk

If you go down on Bonaire on a scooter, it's a long walk back. And it could be awhile b4 someone goes by to help you. Several days when we dove south it was a rarity to pass more than 2-3 trucks on the main road. Although I'm sure it's better than when we went, there's not a lot of emergency responders either. Plus you have to call them so will need a waterproof case for your phone - it's kid bait if you try to hide it onshore. I felt a couple times we were being watched but I never saw anyone.

I literally never saw a cop all week - except once leaving the police station.

It's not the U.S. - you're often on your own. Unless it's a popular site like Salt Pier or the Hooker.

90% of the dive sites have NO Facilities. Maybe these site pictures will clarify that. Scuba Shore Diving Region: ABC Islands

Ok I will look into those options thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom