Snorkel when at a shore diving destination?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always have one and use it on any surface swim. I grew up snorkeling so it's natural for me to have it on my mask. Also, I mostly dive solo, so it's another option on the surface.

Greetings forum members.

I have been reading lots of threads and I saw a post about someone asking about a backup computer on a liveaboard since they can't afford it and it reminded me I still have not solved my predicament which is that I have finally booked a week in Bonaire and will be shore diving but I am on a really tight budget and I cannot afford another single piece of dive gear and I don't have a snorkel. How important is a snorkel when shore diving? I figure I can always swim out on my back to the dive site and drop down but is there a lot of inherent risk in not having a snorkel should anything else happen that requires a long surface swim? Thanks for your help with this!

So what do you plan on eating?

The original name of recreational diving courses was Skin and SCUBA diving,
In order to generate more divers and more income "Skin Diving" aka 'Snorkeling' aka 'Free diving' and the simple skills to master the activity was deleted from the current abbreviated sub standard diving course.

Therefore, you have or will discover there is a large segment of the diving community, who because of their instruction which was taught by an instructor who was not proficient in the use of a snorkel they fore have never been exposed to a snorkel and are very vocal about its usage. ( just read the preceding posts-All those suggestions )

It is suggested that you purchase a decent snorkel, take it with you and unfortunately with out instruction as many have done prior to organized diving, by trial and error master the skill of 'Skin Diving' which was lacking in your dive course and the majority of most current dive courses. I suspect that you will; be pleasantly surprised...

As a start may I suggest that you check out the snorkels offered by Dano and his @MAKO Spearguns
Decent snorkels as a very reasonable price..

SDM

@Marie13 CE

I don't think I ever used the snorkel on Bonaire. As for tight budget, if the Venezuelan market that apparently existed at some point is there again, that would be about the only budget place there. The supermarkets are closer to EU prices than to US ones.

Seems like I find snorkels at the beach so often they seem worthless. Got to be some cheap ones for sale.

They are often handy and could be critical. If you’re done diving but want to snorkel then you need one. If you want to check a site out prior to scuba, you need one. God forbid you get swept off by a current - you really really need one.
Yes. Where do they all come from? I must have a pile of 15-20 found snorkels (and 3-4 masks), yet only ever use my $20 foldable one.

Reactions: Doc
@TMHeimer
Yes. Where do they all come from? I must have a pile of 15-20 found snorkels (and 3-4 masks), yet only ever use my $20 foldable one.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You seem to forget the lost snorkels are from people who are not as well trained and knowable as you.
Possibly all Walmart or Costco variety ?

SDM

@TMHeimer
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You seem to forget the lost snorkels are from people who are not as well trained and knowable as you.
Possibly all Walmart or Costco variety ?

SDM
Very true. Though last year I did find a brand new mask/snorkel in 15' of water that obviously had just been bought at the LDS.
I guess it's easy for a snorkeler to lose one of the Walmart ones if it's not attached to the mask. I lost one that way decades ago snorkeling in Mexico in poor viz.

Nothing is cheap on Bonaire but some cheap(er) options would be:

Bobbe-Jans BBQ in town,

The little place across from the Plaza Resort entrance - they bag to go also - IDK the name,

Between the Buns near the north side dive resorts

The food truck that hangs around the kitesufers at one of rhe southern dive sites.

I thought Zee Zicht in town was reasonable.
Wattaburger in town nearby.

There;s also a KFC and a Subway..

I believe the Rumrunners Pizza Kitchen at Habitat sells by the slice.

Warehouse Foods had a counter near the entrance where you can buy a piece of chicken or a piece of cooked fish. Their food prices were high but not outrageous.

If you have cooking options where you;re staying, the little pavilion downtown waterfront is used by vendors who come over from SA to peddle fish and produce during the week. Nice looking fish on ice

I know people who pack food for their Bonaire trips.

Renting a Car? You'll need one. Cabs are few and pricey, No bus and if you stay in town at a cheap place like Dive Hut - no nearby diving,

Back
Top Bottom