Snorkel Use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cannot dispute with your usage of the snorkel here. It makes surface kelp crawl easier. No doubt.

Nonetheless, it still NOT a "safety" device or a "life support" device. You said it, kelp crawl while taking a breath here and there can be done. Just not as efficient.
That's a definitional issue rather than reality. I have no problem (for that circumstance) calling it a safety device.
Strap the snorkel to your inner calf with compression strap?

I've seen people done it this way. Out of the way yet there if you want to use it.
Even on the inside of the calf (that's real old style commercial diver) it will quickly get snagged in thick kelp. Properly mounted on your mask, it will rarely get snagged.

First, you can actually drown at the surface. Simply put, you will drown if your face is in the water. Obvious if you are under water, but if you are positioned at the surface so your face in in the water you will drown. Just stick your thumb over the top of the snorkel tube on your buddy and see his response. That's what makes it a useful device to swim with your face in the water. For divers at the surface who prefer to swim face down rather than on their back it is a useful device. It also is useful at the surface in rough or choppy waters if you want to keep your regulator out to help preserve air for the dive.

I'd say use one if you feel it helps you for a dive, but don't hate or belittle divers if you don't feel the need for a snorkel. You can try and justify not using one if you want, just don't ask to borrow mine because you left yours at home.

A. Not everybody uses a back inflate BC, and even if they were using a back inflate BC if they were to weight themselves right, there's no reason for the BC to "flip them on their face" as you purported.

True, not all BCDs are back-inflate, but they've certainly become a lot more popular over the past decade. Insofar as the suggestions to "weight right", suffice to say that you can go check my posting history and read some heated dialogs on the subject, which also includes my Engineering drawings of the Overturning Moments present with dive gear. To summarize it all very briefly, a back inflate simply does not have the properties to encourage a life vest style "face up" and this situation is exasperated when it is being dived with a buoyant-at-end-of-dive AL80 ... typical resort gear .. tank, whereas in many "No Problem!" instances, these comments are coming from local coldwater divers who are using Steel tanks which are negative at the end of a dive too.

B. If I were to dive in blue water and chances of becoming adrift are high, or in rough sea, then yes I will wear a snorkel.

Which I agree is appropriate, just as we don't wear a safety harness & line when we're not doing an ice dive.

In the case of the Bequia dive that I alluded to, the snorkle-less diver would have drowned had it not been for them receiving assistance from both their buddy as well as myself.

-hh

So you lost the boat, you ran out of the gas in three tanks, or at least did not think to share gas with an out of gas diver, and had a team that was unfit for the conditions. And the solution to all of this is a snorkel? Might there be other potential solutions?

A1: No, this was a planned drift dive. You're not going to blame the divers - - who faithfully followed the dive plan - - for the failure of the chase boat on a drift dive, since this is always an objective risk present on all drift dives.

A2: To my knowledge, only one tank (the snorkel-less diver) was drained, which we did not know had happened until the victim also fatigued out from resperatory distress from not having a regulator or a snorkel to breathe from while facing into the rough seas. At that point, the hazard from the rocks was far too immediate and the obvious recourse was to swim out, which was accomplished with a tow. Sure, it is possible that there might have been a better way to use the air supplies in our tanks too, but the root cause still goes back to the victim who made two bad judgement calls: #1 was for not being equipped (ie, snorkel) to survive the potential risk of longer-than-expected float under the prevailing (and known...it wasn't our first day of diving here) conditions; and #2 was failing to warn the rest of us that (a) they had OOA'ed their tank, and (b) they were having trouble. This all then resulted in the rapid escalation to full distress for which we responded with grabbing them and literally doing a rescue tow.

FWIW, it is possible that an octopus might have donated back to the victim on the surface during their tow at some point, but I no longer recall every detail about the experience to make a definitive "yes or no", since this did occur 8 years ago. This could have been a good thing if such an octopus donation didn't hinder the rescue tow, so the length of the octopus hoses probably would have been its determining factor. I don't think any of us had a long hose, which is the only way today that I'd retrospectively said that we clearly had overlooked a viable alternative.

...May not be a case of poor air management, but a mistake judging currents, weather changes, etc. &^*% happens. This sounds like a good case for those divers to have a snorkel, so again, it's just a personal preference. Is that a safety situation? Some would say the chances of that happening are too low to justify the hassel having a snorkel. Then again, at times I use my Dive Alert, and at times not. Haven't had to use it for an emergency yet and maybe never will. Should I keep using it if there is current?

What all of this really simplifies down to is that diving is not utterly risk free and there's a a lot of possible as you say, &^*% happens events. What we all have to do is to assess the risks - - and the consequences of each of these risks - - and then decide upon what our acceptance threshhold is.

Historically, OW dive training introduced us all to the major risk factors and gave us the appropriate (if basic) solutions for how to manage those risks, but the training also did us a slight disservice by not educating us that what we were doing was basic risk identification, assessment and management: it just shortcutted to a "Do This, Do That, Wear This Stuff" without us necessarily understanding why (holistically).

This simplification continued with the identification of select pieces of gear as being supposedly "safety" equipment. This is effectively a misnomer because every piece of gear contributes to the larger context of risk management of the overall system.

When we look specifically at the lowly snorkel through the lens of system Risk Management, what we find is that it contributes in a low likelihood-but high consequence setting, which gives it a "Low Odds / High Benefit" ranking. Combined with it being a cheap piece of gear, its Cost:Benefit ranking will be higher than what one may otherwise expect. Afterall, do keep in mind that we didn't standardize having an Octopus on our gear until its price came down...

In any event, the question of if it is a piece of "safety" gear really isn't all that important. All dive gear contributes to safety in one form or another, which is what classically forms our overall Risk for a particular dive. Differences in dive environments and settings will invariably mean that there's differences in the risks present, some of which may very well merit - - depending on that particular diver's risk tolerance - - changes to their gear to mitigate these risks. And of course, the diver themself is the final arbiter of risk and safety ... if things don't look acceptable, you thumb the dive.

-hh

As a DM I wear one when assiting with training. I carry one most of the time, and wear it when it is part of the dive plan. My wife and I dive as a group of 2 alot, and if a planned dive involves a long surface swim out or back, the snorkel is used to save on air. I think divers should be competent snorkelers too, but whether you carry or "wear a snorkel is a personal matter. Let's face is, they can get in the way.
DivemasterDennis

Where I dive (Sydney) the seas are typically relatively choppy, and many of the dive sites require surface swims of 25-50 metres or more, so I use my snorkel all the time. I guess it depends on your local conditions.

For hard core cave divers this thread toes not apply to you. For OW divers (even wreck divers), a snorkel can be valuable depending on how you use it.

I dove for many years with a standard set-up (including a snorkel). I found the snorkel to be a great tool of convenience on the surface, but an inconvenience underwater. On the surface I really liked it for waiting for other divers to enter the water, or waiting to get back on the boat, for swimming out on beach dives, or swimming hard against a current on the surface, if I needed to. When I dove wrecks I did take it off but still carried it in my bc pocket in case I might want it when back on the surface.

I recently changed to the "DIR" gear set-up. For this, a snorkel interferes with deploying the long hose and so I have removed it from my mask. I really love being underwater without one.

That being said, I do miss it sometimes for the reasons I already said. I am either going to get the roll-up snorkel to keep in my pocket or fix my snorkel out of the way on my bp/w strap.

If I do get the roll-up one, I will put on a "dry snorkel" top.

I have never lost the boat in a current, but if that happened I would really value my snorkel if I had to float for hours. If your air eventually ran out and you had to breathe in choppy conditions the snorkel could, literally, be a life-saver, especially a dry snorkel that does not let water in. I don't view those features as a 'gimmick' for a useful scuba snorkel. In that limited circumstance it might be more than a convenience and actually become a survival benefit.

Don't pick your snorkel based on what freedivers do. Plenty of skilled freedivers use scuba snorkels. More important, the needs of scuba divers are different. You will not be diving down and then using an exhale on the way up to pre-clear the snorkel. You will be on the surface all the time and needing to blast-clear whatever water splashes in. This is where the dry snorkels can offer you a benefit that freedivers just don't need.

So, my recommendation is to get comfortable using a snorkel with your scuba gear and always carry one with you, but not necessarily attached to your mask.

Properly mounted on your mask, it will rarely get snagged.

You've also alluded to proper snorkel mounting getting around longhose problems as well. Is there a common 'wrong way' to mount a snorkel (I suspect I might be doing it)?

A snorkel made a cert dive for me a much better experience than it might have been.

My old snorkel had basically fallen apart during my first set of dives, likely from us being tossed around by the waves during the entry. I thus bought a nice snorkel since I also plan to be doing quite a bit of snorkeling-likely more than diving due to expense ATM.

Anyhow today kick out through the surf with all the same gear as the day before to find I happen to be a bit overweighted-this was not the case yesterday!...I was having trouble keeping my head clear of the waves even during the swim out even when the BC was fully inflated. Fortunately I remembered the snorkel and was thus able to avoid exhausting myself during our surface intervals and swim in/swim out. In hindsight the smarter idea might have been to go back to shore and remove a pound or two from the belt.

Also it is amusing to be able to watch other members of your group bob in and out of the murk below you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom