Snorkel Use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cheers. I've got two older Js, but given my propensity to chew through the mouthpiece I just keep them for spare. The one I have is somewhat simple, but does have a corrugated bend that dangles into my BC inflator, as well as the purge that prevents the rescue breath maneuver that I don't know. I yanked the fixed keeper and replaced it for a stock one. I use a neoprene slap strap that I think might get in the way, but I have the old silicone one somewhere. I'm fully willing to discover that I've lent on a gear solution to a skills problem, even if the gear solution is going the opposite way to most :)

Hi again aquaregia,

$14.95 + shipping gets you something that will work.... similar to the snorkel I use (might actually be the same snorkel sold under a different brand name):

MAKO Spearguns - Basic Freedive Snorkel

Add a simple silicone keeper and you are all set. I also use a neoprene slap-strap on my mask. It is just fine with "rigging" the snorkel as shown in Thal's pictures.

Best wishes.

Unrelated question for zky, do you prefer the one piece wetsuit or the 2 piece farmer john and beavertail?

I use mine whenever I'm on the surface. I'm a air hog (snort) so whenever I get the chance to breath free air I do.

Really? I have gone 10 years without one and have not come close to needing one even once. How long do you think it will take before it becomes apparent that it is essential, 20 years, or 30 maybe? I'll take my chances. What other gear do you take that you only need once every 20 years?

That would be my dive knife. In 42 years I have never actually "needed" my knife. I just wear it because it looks cool.

I just searched for "snorkel" on eBay and I think I'm beginning to understand why some of you hate snorkels--nowadays they come with corrugations, purge valves, EPIRB transmitters, backup air supplies, fishing tackle, wire cutters, space blankets, waterproof matches, and a first aid kit. This is the closest thing I could find to what I could call a "snorkel":

Omer Zoom Soft Scuba Snorkel - Black - New - NR!!! | eBay

but I have some doubts about the smooth contour and the holder. IMHO a "snorkel" should have no corrugations, no purge valves, no hard angles, be as smooth as possible, have a long enough tube to reach the surface without filling up with water when it's choppy but no longer than necessary, and have an orange diver's flag sticker at the top so ignorant boaters and jet skiiers will see it and come to investigate. It looks like we have gone full circle back to the "S" tube with the little cage at the top containing a ping-pong ball to keep water from entering the tube.

I just searched for "snorkel" on eBay and I think I'm beginning to understand why some of you hate snorkels--nowadays they come with corrugations, purge valves, EPIRB transmitters, backup air supplies, fishing tackle, wire cutters, space blankets, waterproof matches, and a first aid kit. This is the closest thing I could find to what I could call a "snorkel":

Omer Zoom Soft Scuba Snorkel - Black - New - NR!!! | eBay

but I have some doubts about the smooth contour and the holder. IMHO a "snorkel" should have no corrugations, no purge valves, no hard angles, be as smooth as possible, have a long enough tube to reach the surface without filling up with water when it's choppy but no longer than necessary, and have an orange diver's flag sticker at the top so ignorant boaters and jet skiiers will see it and come to investigate. It looks like we have gone full circle back to the "S" tube with the little cage at the top containing a ping-pong ball to keep water from entering the tube.

I bought a snorkel along with my first mask before commencing OW, and I wear it on every dive ... it is just another piece of equipment that comes along with me for every dive. I use it after I hop in the water while waiting for buddies, and I will use it when I am waiting for my turn to get back onto boats.

It has been extremely useful when conditions are rough at the surface ... so in all truth, I love the thing!

I currently don't enter overhead environments (not trained ...), so I have no worries about it dragging along or snagging onto anything ... I guess I wouldn't wear it if I felt that it would endanger my safety or cause other concerns ...

To the people that don't regularly use their snorkel - well, choice is yours, clearly, but someday you may want it. I carry along a pocket mask with me for every dive - don't use it 'regularly' either - but if I must ...

It all depends on the diver whether they want to use a snorkel or not, I feel that it is in the way when I have it attached to the mask and also if it's not clipped on correctly it might cause leaks in your mask. I usually don't wear one but have one in folded up in my dry suit pocket so if I do need it I can attached it to the clip on my mask and use it. On the surface I usually swim on my back so I would just breathe through my mouth but if the surface is really choppy and water is causing you problem to breathe properly a snorkel is useful. This is just my 2 cents on this.

Back
Top Bottom