Snorkel Use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You've also alluded to proper snorkel mounting getting around longhose problems as well. Is there a common 'wrong way' to mount a snorkel (I suspect I might be doing it)?

Many divers mount their snorkel on their maskstrap, near to the buckle. This not only causes the snorkel to not function well but makes it much more likely to foul a long hose because it sticks up higher.

What is this thing called snorkel?

The word from the WW-II German Navy "Schnorchel"; related to "schnarchen" (DEU "to snore"); an apparent slang combination of its resemblance to a nose (or snout) and its noise when in use on U-Boats.

-hh

They do get in the way, but I do love snorkeling. Took my kid to Hawaii some years ago and since wasn't certified we did plenty of that.

Just wondering, how often do you need/use your snorkle when you dive?
When we did our OW, the snorkle was optional. The last boat dive we did, not one diver had a snorkle. This included a DM and instructor. I don't wear one yet because I have not had to and just think it will be in my way. Just trying to get a different point of view.

My answer:- never.
Im up to nearly 5,000 dives now in conditions ranging from tropical waters to rough north atlantic and not once i had a situation where i thought a snorkel would be the best option or needed. I've never come across any situation by anyone else where i've thought it either. If you're not on a course make it easier on yourself and leave it at home. They're great for snorkelling but that's about it.

i dont need it often but i always have it (attached and ready). last dive in CCV last year... i needed it and was VERY glad to have it handy. high waves, way off course and a long swim in to shore (dont ask, its a long story). the only time i dont have it on my mask is when im in the pool doing laps

Many divers mount their snorkel on their maskstrap, near to the buckle. This not only causes the snorkel to not function well but makes it much more likely to foul a long hose because it sticks up higher.

Yup, that's what I'm doing :)
So you just tuck it under the strap, further back?

So, we have people who have never used a snorkel with countless dives in every kind of condition, and can't envision ever needing or using one. And we have those who find it occasionally very useful in rough seas for long swims. Two different species? You'd figure one or the other would be right, no?

Yup, that's what I'm doing :)
So you just tuck it under the strap, further back?

Hi aquaregia,

Thal will probably answer shortly, but since I wear my old "J" snorkel the same way:

Look closely at the photos of Thal's son. You just need to slide the snorkel "keeper" back until it contacts the wide area of your mask strap, then re-adjust the position of the snorkel (up or down) in the keeper as needed for comfort... the idea is to get the snorkel pushed back, this results in a better-positioned snorkel (more upright) when in a face-down swimming position on the surface.

Ignore the snorkel in my avatar picture... that was one of the worse "gear mistakes" I made when I returned to diving in 2007.... it has a "fixed" keeper that prevents proper postioning (not to mention the needless purge valves that just tend to break over time). I replaced it with a basic "J" style snorkel (Scubapro makes one, and they are indeed in dive shops).

Some of the "modern" snorkels with all the bells and whistles are difficult or impossible to position properly, due to their shape, bulk, and "keeper" design. This is a case where "older" is clearly better.

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom