Snorkel Use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can see, however, how that might be an issue with a "dry snorkel" that has purge valves and do-dads on the top and that is mounted where the strap meets the mask frame, as is commonly seen.

I don't have a simple snorkel, but it's not terribly complex. I'm a pretty heavy biter, so I'm happy to have one that takes a normal reg mouthpiece. It does dangle on some flexible corrugated plastic, which is probably the bigger issue. Truth be told, it was the cheapest snorkel they had in the shop when I got certified, but I'm probably on my 5th mouthpiece in 2 years.

Every dive on Scuba when not using a full face mask. A previous post explains it:

+1 on the snorkel. I never go in the water without a snorkel and a knife.

A snorkel is an essential piece of survival gear. You need one for almost all open water dives. The only time I take mine off is when I'm doing overhead environment dives.
A snorkel is a piece of gear that when you need it you need it bad.
Being a good snorkeler will help you be a better scuba diver (it will add life saving skills, not taught by most training agencies today).
Snorkel s need to be streamlined. That's a problem in today's market place. Most snorkels have to many features on them. All you need is a mouth piece, a tube, and a keeper. If you look at Free Divers (spear fishermen, they are the real experts) their snorkels are very simple and very streamlined.
Keep your snorkel ( get a streamline one), learn how to use it, and it may save you someday.

LOL

My sarcasm detector isn't working properly this morning so I'm not sure weather you are serious or not. Anyway, I have dove a variety of conditions, eg., fresh, salt, choppy, calm, long swim out, long swim in, boat, shore, etc., and not once did it ever occur to me that I might want to use a snorkel. To each his own.
If you feel you want to use one, use it, If not, don't.

Jason

LOL

My sarcasm detector isn't working properly this morning so I'm not sure weather you are serious or not. Anyway, I have dove a variety of conditions, eg., fresh, salt, choppy, calm, long swim out, long swim in, boat, shore, etc., and not once did it ever occur to me that I might want to use a snorkel. To each his own.
If you feel you want to use one, use it, If not, don't.

Jason

Try navigating through thick kelp on the surface without a snorkel and on your back then get back to me and let us know how it went.

Try navigating through thick kelp on the surface without a snorkel and on your back then get back to me and let us know how it went.

Why would you want to do that?

The standard practice is to dive UNDER the giant kelp canopy.

And if you were to run out of gas in your tank before making it back to the boat, then it's a training issue/technique issue and not a "snorkel" issue.

Aren't we always harping about diving with the correct practice and technique instead of using equipment to overcome faulty procedures?

It's a safety issue that's why. You will DIE if you have to surface swim over kelp without a snorkel.

Why would you want to do that?

The standard practice is to dive UNDER the giant kelp canopy.

And if you were to run out of gas in your tank before making it back to the boat, then it's a training issue/technique issue and not a "snorkel" issue.

Aren't we always harping about diving with the correct practice and technique instead of using equipment to overcome faulty procedures?
You are assuming a boat, oft not the case. The purpose of a snorkel is often to aid in swimming over a kelp bed to either reach a dive spot or to return from one, since time or gas may not permit going under the kelp.
It's a safety issue that's why. You will DIE if you have to surface swim over kelp without a snorkel.
From your response I suspect that you've not much experience with long kelp crawls, they are very difficult, damn near impossible without a snorkel and yes, people have (on rare occasion) died whilst doing one, even with a snorkel. I would not attempt to dive Bluefish Cove for example, when the kelp is in, without a surfmat and a snorkel and I've made that dive many hundreds of times. Take a word of advise from people with a lot of experience with the problem, or stick to your opinions and preconceived notions ... what seems best?

Last edited:
On the other threads there has been a lot of input from the kelp divers. I've never done that, but it would seem you could get caught in a current and not have enough tank air to get back where you want to be, or to land, etc. May not be a case of poor air management, but a mistake judging currents, weather changes, etc. &^*% happens. This sounds like a good case for those divers to have a snorkel, so again, it's just a personal preference. Is that a safety situation? Some would say the chances of that happening are too low to justify the hassel having a snorkel. Then again, at times I use my Dive Alert, and at times not. Haven't had to use it for an emergency yet and maybe never will. Should I keep using it if there is current?

(Most of) you guys are funny. To argue about whether you need a snorkel or not is just silly. Seriously, you don't have better things to do all day long? Take one if you want, don't take one if you don't want. I have one of those fancy snorkels with a purge valve and a bobber to keep waves out. I use it - wait for it! - when I go snorkeling. Works great. I don't like it dangling next to me when I dive, so I don't take it scuba diving. I do have one of those roll up nautilus snorkels referenced several posts back that lives in my bc pocket. Got it at Sport Chalet for about $20 or so. Doesn't bother me or take up any appreciable space when underwater, but I have it in case I need (or want) to do a surface swim. I suppose I could use it as a rescue breather, and I did learn how to do that in rescue class, but mostly I just like to have it just in case. If you don't want to bring one, doesn't bother me. I'm not right and you're not wrong. Have fun and safe diving!

Mike

It's an item of equipment that has certain benefits in certain situations. In other situations, it has no benefits.

I would opt to carry a snorkel if I was ocean diving in an area of high current and/or rough seas. It protects the airway, whilst avoiding unnecessary depletion of the gas in your cylinder. If you were swept away from the shore/boat...and had to spend an extended time floating in the sea, then the snorkel would certainly make your condition more comfortable.

If the surface condition are calm, there is very little need for that extra airway protection. I'll surface swim on my back and relax.

When I do need a snorkel (or have to carry one because of instructor teaching standards), I won't wear it permanently on my mask. I have some bungee loops on the side of my backplate for it to be stowed in. Personally, I hate having a flappy plastic tube banging against the side of my head for the duration of a dive. As most of the diving I do is wreck diving, my snorkel spends most of its time in my dive bag on the boat - snorkels and wreck penetration are not a good match.

Back
Top Bottom