Snorkel tube in scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, cave diving, ice diving and probably some other non-OW situations. My statement was too broad.
For open water or advanced open water diving I do not see a reason, an issue caused by wearing a snorkel, that constitute a legitimate argument to not wear one. Someone can not wear one if they think it's uncomfortable, or they won't need it or most likely because 'it's not tec'. That's fine, it's your choice. But the argument to not take a snorkel because you won't need it unless you need is illogical. Just as that same argument would not hold in regards to an octo, or for some a backup mask, its not a good reason to not have snorkel.

Sorry about not being clear, but I'm asking what the purpose is of the long hose. Serious question. I have not taken a scuba class since the early 80s.

Sorry about not being clear, but I'm asking what the purpose is of the long hose. Serious question. I have not taken a scuba class since the early 80s.
Oh boy. The long hose is a staple of tech diving which has percolated into the rec environment over the last couple ten years or so.

Usually a 5 or 7 foot hose to primary regulator. Part of the so-called Hogarthian rig favoured by DIR and cave and tech divers

Since this is the correct place to wear it when snorkelling a lot of people think it is a sensible place when scuba diving. Last I looked a snorkel is about a foot long, not much use on a 30 foot dive. I am curious where else to wear it?
I have a quick connection on my mask strap so the snorkel can be put in place in seconds. I stow the snorkel with surgical tubing on my backplate below the cylinder. On my side mount rig it's stowed on the butt plate. To me roll ups are very useful as they don't stand up very well when unrolled.

Oh boy. The long hose is a staple of tech diving which has percolated into the rec environment over the last couple ten years or so.

Usually a 5 or 7 foot hose to primary regulator. Part of the so-called Hogarthian rig favoured by DIR and cave and tech divers

I can't say that I've even seen anyone diving with one but I mainly dive from boats in places such as Hawai'i and Cozumel etc. What is the purpose of the long hose? I know nothing about "tech" diving--so far I've been happy just breathing plain ol' air.

Since this is the correct place to wear it when snorkelling a lot of people think it is a sensible place when scuba diving. Last I looked a snorkel is about a foot long, not much use on a 30 foot dive. I am curious where else to wear it?

:)

Usually in the mesh bag back on the boat. However, I did tie one of those plastic "molle" carabiners to mine so I could clip one end to a d-ring and stick the other under the belt. If the sea looks like I might benefit from having one while floating around topside. And yes, mine has one of those newfangled quick disconnect thingies too.

I can't say that I've even seen anyone diving with one but I mainly dive from boats in places such as Hawai'i and Cozumel etc. What is the purpose of the long hose? I know nothing about "tech" diving--so far I've been happy just breathing plain ol' air.

For no-stop open water diving I'd say the point is the short hose secondary. So you only have one long(-ish) hose: the primary, and it normally sits in your mouth and is not dragging behind you being a nuisance. If you don't have an octo then you don't need to care about any of it.

The long hose feeding your primary second stage is there to allow air sharing in an area where you may need to pass through in single file, like a cave or wreck.
I also believe it to be a good choice diving in areas with high risk of entanglement, like NJ wrecks. If a diver is entangled and needs air the long hose allows room to maneuver around the diver to help free them. I use 5' hoses for this reason.
The 7' version typical crosses in front of your body, goes over your left shoulder and around the back of your neck to your right side. Handing this regulator to someone who needs it involves unwrapping it from around your neck. A snorkel would interfere with this so it is not worn. For cave divers there is no need for the snorkel. For wreck penetration divers the snorkel can be very useful at the surface, so a folding snorkel is carried for use when needed.

Last edited:
I haven't read every post in this thread but have to thank T-bone for the link to Cave Diver Harrys's blog, some great reading there. I never dive with a snorkel, I do think it is a good idea so I purchased a folding model to keep in a pocket until needed. It cracked the first time I tried to fold it, so in the trash it went. I may try another one sometime. Funny story, I was at a popular local dive site with a large group of friends a few years back. This diver we did not know pulls up and starts getting ready to dive, he had all of his gear on and when he went to don his mask, discovered that he forgot his snorkel. The diver doffed his BC and went around asking the group of probably 30 divers if anyone had a spare snorkel. Not only did no one have a spare, no one had one at all. The driver came back to his car, continued to doff the rest of his gear and pack it away and off he went. I guess some divers are that adamant about using a snorkel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom