Snorkel tube in scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not implying anything. People are giving advice to not wear a snorkel, I am asking for a reasoned arguement why. So the argurments against a snorkel for OW diving are:
- you won't have enough money left over to buy good fins
- it's a possible distraction
- you can't wear a hood over your mask strap
- you may mistake your snorkel for your bcd inflator
- you don't need one unless you need one
Compelling stuff...

When divers decide what gear they will or will not use, what dives they will and will not do, etc. it should be a thoughtful decision. When someone gives advice it should be equally thoughtful. It should not be based on what looks cool, if it's 'tech' or not, or if someone will call them a stroke for not doing it right. Not saying you did any of those things but some have, and the article making the dildo reference certainly did.

IMG_5074.JPG
Trek Folding Snorkel, Scuba Gear, Scuba Equipment and Scuba Diving Equipment. Getwetstore.com

Just put one of those $12.95 folding one in BCD pockets, amongst your other emergency kit (SMB, mirror, flashlight, PLB1, 500ml water bottle, etc.) & not worry about wearing it until you need it. I haven't need one in 12 years of diving, but I have it in my BCD pockets, just in case I get lost at sea.

.... So the argurments against a snorkel for OW diving are:
- you don't need one unless you need one
Compelling stuff...

When divers decide what gear they will or will not use, what dives they will and will not do, etc. it should be a thoughtful decision. When someone gives advice it should be equally thoughtful...

There are some silly comments - there always are about this matter. However you have hit the nail on the head there. If you think you might need one, take one. One poster told us about swimming back to shore through heavy kelp and finding a snorkel useful. If you plan to do that, or might have to do that for some reason, then take a snorkel.

There is only one "argument" against a snorkel and that is you don't need it nor can you ever think of a situation in which you would need it. I cannot think of a situation in which I will, or ever might, surface swim to shore through thick kelp. I cannot think of any situation where I might need a snorkel. In 30 years and thousands of dives I cannot think of any time I might have needed one whilst diving. Outside of people involved in training with PADI I cannot think of any time in the last few years I have ever seen anyone with a snorkel. It's not really an argument against a snorkel, it's a non issue because by and large no one needs one.

In fact the subject only comes up when some bright spark starts suggesting it is a basic item of safety, or that people should always carry (or worse wear) one. That somehow the millions of divers around the world who conduct millions of dives a year without a snorkel are wrong, or irresponsible. Or that there is "no argument not to wear one".

Wouldn't it be better if the tiny handful of people who have ever found a use for one (personally - not a third party part remembered anecdote) shared their experience with us and then let people decide for themselves? I will now remember that a surface swim through heavy kelp is better with a snorkel. I am no more likely to undertake that dive but I am better equipped to understand that one potential use of a snorkel and evaluate whether to take one with me if I shore dive somewhere new where there is kelp. That's the value of a forum - sharing your experiences. Blanket statements about you must carry this that or the other item of kit at all times just invite pointless confrontation which ends up benefiting no one.

I've made a lot of surface swims through kelp when I used to free dive and as a new scuba diver. The snorkel nearly always snagged kelp and made it harder to swim. I haven't worn a snorkel in more than twenty years and haven't found any situation where one would even be handy.

Yes, chrisch. "If you think you might need one, take one". What more need be said? Most of the time my foldable one stays at home. If I'm in an unfamiliar spot, or one I know may have iffy currents, it goes in my BC pocket. And at times the Dive Alert gets attached.

I witnessed an incident just about a week ago where there was an unexpectedly strong current and a group of four was swept away. They were fortunately picked up by another boat and returned but one of the group was elderly and they chose to have him swim back to our boat without his tank and have one of the younger bucks swim the gear over. The seas were 4-6' and he said he could not have done the swim without his snorkel. I'll carry mine particularly with a back inflate BC.
So four divers decided to dive in four to six foot waves, one of them being elderly and unable to swim with his gear on. I think having a snorkel or not was the last thing on the list of bad decisions here. Even in six foot seas there is still plenty of air to breathe at the surface and it's much easier to breathe on your back than to suck air through a tube while water breaks over it.

My snorkel sits in the bottom of my gear tub or bag and is there just in case we come across some breaching whales, quick and easy to put on to jump in and join in the action.

@chrisc - agreed, share experiences in an attempt to provide others with information they can use to make their own decisions.
My wife only dives warm, clear water when we travel. It is very common for us to surface swim over shallow reefs to get away from the boat and other divers. We then descend and make our way back to the boat. We could swim on our backs but why not enjoy what's below. I picked up on doing this diving in Egypt many years ago where almost every shore entry was over long stretches of shallow reef or you've been diving the same spot for six months and want to save gas for something new. We've found it useful and enjoyable in places like the Bahamas, Florida and Fiji.
I also dive in NJ and NC. I carry a snorkel, but don't wear it. Surfacing away from the dive boat is a reality and you prepare for that. Switching to your snorkel at the surface to conserve backgas so that if it is needed it's there. Like not turning on a flashlight when you can just open the blinds. Save your resources until you need them. I consider it no different than an SMB, whistle, mirror and chem-light, all part of my surface gear.
During classes the group often surface swims away from the shore entry in order to get away from other student groups or just to get to something more interesting before descending. Students are shown both using a snorkel and swimming on your back.
Do you need a snorkel, no. But I didn't start using an octo until 2012, so for 27 years I did just fine without one. Useful? Like anything under the right circumstances, yes. It matters how often you find yourself in those circumstances.

Last edited:
I beach dive a lot and prefer to swim out to the descend area face down and conserve tank air or "back gas" as they say nowadays. Drift diving on vacation in moderate to heavy seas with live boat pick up - absolutely required. Do what you want though but unless I'm on a double hose reg, its on the mask strap and with a double hose, I just stick it somewhere -

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom