Snorkel tube in scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I witnessed an incident just about a week ago where there was an unexpectedly strong current and a group of four was swept away. They were fortunately picked up by another boat and returned but one of the group was elderly and they chose to have him swim back to our boat without his tank and have one of the younger bucks swim the gear over. The seas were 4-6' and he said he could not have done the swim without his snorkel. I'll carry mine particularly with a back inflate BC.

I have a friend who has a brother. The brother's hairdresser has a cousin who dives. He once told them he needed a snorkel. Must be a requirement for everyone therefore.

I have a friend who has a brother. The brother's hairdresser has a cousin who dives. He once told them he needed a snorkel. Must be a requirement for everyone therefore.

Had to clean up my keyboard. It should have been using a snorkel.

Mine is a White Stag.

Healthways.

Bob

@JamesBon92007, to follow up on the long hose discussion, not only is it great for getting two divers out of an overhead environment single file, I find that it is just way more comfortable sharing air in general. It allows you to provide gas to your buddy without them being stuck in your face. Even in open water, it's just easier and provides more swimming configuration options.

Funny! But I don't think anyone is saying "must" or "required". I also don't see that anyone has presented an arguement for an OW diver to not wear one. Curious as to your reasoning?

Have my folding dorkel in BCD pocket when I need it. I live in Texas, dive in the GofM every year from a boat for the last 12 years I've been diving. I do use it when I go free diving.

A note from Cave Diver Harry article The Sad and Sordid History of the “Dorkel” posted previously:
  • Distraction is a contributing factor in many diving accidents, and there are few things more distracting than having an oversized adult toy constantly tugging and pulling on your mask. This is bad enough during normal dives; try it in the Gulf Stream and see what happens.
I'm imagining when you are hanging on a rock for your dear life to avoid getting swept away by a strong current, holding a camera on one hand & the rock on the other hand. Then, the dorkel rattling on the side of the mask, causing your mask to flood. What a distraction.

Last edited:
Another point from cave Diver Harry:

• One of the best ways to prevent mask loss is to wear your mask strap tucked under your hood. This has the added benefit of reducing the risk of getting the mask skirt caught on the lip of the hood, causing leaks. Unfortunately, you can only do this if you are not wearing a dorkel. Thus, wearing a dorkel increases the likelihood of mask leaks and mask loss.

Another point from cave Diver Harry:

• One of the best ways to prevent mask loss is to wear your mask strap tucked under your hood. This has the added benefit of reducing the risk of getting the mask skirt caught on the lip of the hood, causing leaks. Unfortunately, you can only do this if you are not wearing a dorkel. Thus, wearing a dorkel increases the likelihood of mask leaks and mask loss.
Good points, but who's really worried about mask loss--ei. who doesn't have a spare and another dozen they found? (dorkels included).

Seems like the reasons to not carry one are tec related.

Funny! But I don't think anyone is saying "must" or "required". I also don't see that anyone has presented an arguement for an OW diver to not wear one. Curious as to your reasoning?

Your earlier post implied that it was required and your current argument that there is "no good reason not to" implies that a person should. The true position is clear that there are a few, rare situations when one might be needed and a whole world of situations where one is not needed. There are no scuba police - no one is going round giving you a ticket for wearing a snorkel. If anyone feels the need to carry - or even wear - a snorkel then they have every right and opportunity to do so.

I have not seen an effective argument for an open water diver not to wear sunglasses. I am unaware of any debate on the matter. They certainly would be very handy on the surface when the sun is in your eyes and you cannot see the boat. I am also unaware of any agency rules or legislation that would prevent you from wearing them while diving. As no one has presented me with an argument not to wear them I will insist everyone does.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom