Snorkel tube in scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Swimming on your back is like rowing a boat. You get a bearing off a cloud, the sun or a star constellation and then you lay back an kick. You stop every few minutes check on your heading and take a new bearing.

One significant benefit of swimming toward shore with a snorkel is that if you can see the bottom, it is very reassuring to know you are making progress and how much. If you are swimming against a wind it may appear that you are making no progress or even going backwards - which might actually be the case in some situations.

Also in a near shore situation with sand, you can stay face down on a snorkel and just navigate by the sand ridges.

I haven't worn a snorkel in over a decade. Never missed one... glad to be free of the annoyance factor.

For some courses, I'll carry (nor wear) one to satisfy antiquated agency course standards....but mostly I'm teaching tech classes, where a snorkel isn't mandatory equipment.

Granted, there maybe some specific locations where local diving practices dictate long surface swims; and on those swims it may be favorable to have a snorkel available.

However, I'd suggest that this was an extremely minority situation...it's very rare for local diving practices to necessitate long surface snorkels.

Most divers aren't doing long surface swims. When they do surface swim, they opt to swim on their backs for efficiency and relaxation. Navigation whist swimming on your back is an easily developed skill. If you need to temporarily turn facedown to avoid obstacles and/or approach water exits... then you have a scuba regulator available.

There's simply zero imperative for dictating that a snorkel should be mandatory or essential on every dive.

Honestly, there's valid arguments for and against having it at all times. At the end of the day the decision is up to you on what risk you're comfortable with.....

Not really. There are arguments for having it sometimes and not having it sometimes. I think the risk factor is highly debatable. In an overhead environment underwater a mask mounted snorkel is a risk that can be eliminated simply by removing the item. In an emergency surface swim a snorkel may have value - but that is not a reason to take it "every" dive, less still have it on your mask at all times.

It's not risky to swim on your back where I dive here in NS. There are basically no boats. So again, depends on the situation. I wouldn't do it at the inlet in Destin, FL if I were here later than Feb.

It's not risky to swim on your back where I dive here in NS. There are basically no boats. So again, depends on the situation. I wouldn't do it at the inlet in Destin, FL if I were here later than Feb.

I wouldn't be on the surface at Destin period.... I'd stay on the bottom with the dive flag and navigate back on the bottom to where I needed to go...

For shore diving in Monterey Carmel, I mostly swim on my back. No problem with boats, or navigation (mostly navigate visually, although w a wrist compass, it doesn't really matter what position you are in).

However, sometimes its necessary to maneuver through surface kelp - so I must swim face forward to avoid getting tangled in it.

I still don't use a snorkel, although many folks I dive with do. Sometimes I have to deal w/ waves in my face - more a PITA than a hazard. But its a good reason to have the pocket snorkel available. I could see a situation where I would want to use the snorkel - just haven't faced it yet.

I wouldn't be on the surface at Destin period.... I'd stay on the bottom with the dive flag and navigate back on the bottom to where I needed to go...
Good point for the jetty & bridge dives. You rarely see boats in Choctaw & other bays in January though. Not really much boat traffic this time of year at the inlet either, but there is a little, so I take your advice. In fact, I do take the snorkel and Dive Alert, just in case I ever get caught in that nasty (and at times not in line with tide predictions) current and on my way to Cuba.

Bottom line, it's no longer hip to carry a snorkel. It is so Open Water 1. That seems to be the subtext to a lot of these comments.

And yet, how little has SCUBA changed since the snorkel was considered a necessary item. The only material difference I can think of since I got certified in 1992 was going from BCs to BPW's, and yet if memory serves my BC held me even higher out of the water than my BPW does. In SCUBA like in fashion, there are fads and trends. The snorkel is currently uncool.

I personally have no use whatsoever for snorkels… except for the times when I do, such as hanging onto a current line with both hands in an afternoon chop, waiting for a pickup, waves breaking on me. (No way to get into my pocket then for a folding snorkel.)

Glad then that I have my unstylish snorkel clipped on and ready to use.

I feel the same way about octopus second stages and dive computers.
Yep, it's stupid argument to make. I don't need a seat belt unless I get in an accident... I don't need a motorcycle helmet until I wreck... I don't need a snorkel until... And it's odd to me that the argument comes from many of the same people who will tell you must carry a backup mask and three lights.
I see only one legitimate reason to not wear a snorkel, it interferes with deploying a long hose wrapped around the neck.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom