Snorkel tube in scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The other is to remove your BC and "straddle" the tank which keeps your head farther above water and somewhat less subjective to the chop because the BC isn't floating with surface of the water.
How often have you done the Buckin' Bronco BCD?!?! The waves would catch that tank away from me and bonk my head with it just to be sure I got the message that this is a really bad idea for me!

Also, at many Caribbean dive ops you have a choice between an AL 80 and an AL 80....!
Agreed. But I generally dive shallow so an al80 has lots of air for me.

And: there is lots of small stuff in the sand.

We dock dive in Bonaire. So we do a lot of dives on the same site looking for small stuff. Generally this means you can cover only about an8 foot wide swath as you go out to the drop off. And I miss stuff. So I am happy to cover the same ground 2 or three times. In a week of diving we do the same site about 10 times. I still do not feel I have seen it all.

Agreed. But I generally dive shallow so an al80 has lots of air for me.

And: there is lots of small stuff in the sand.

We dock dive in Bonaire. So we do a lot of dives on the same site looking for small stuff. Generally this means you can cover only about an8 foot wide swath as you go out to the drop off. And I miss stuff. So I am happy to cover the same ground 2 or three times. In a week of diving we do the same site about 10 times. I still do not feel I have seen it all.

I give up, you are right. There is no need to ever do a surface swim because in Bonaire you don't need to.

I would advise buying a good quality snorkel that blocks waves from splashing in the top and has a bottom vent to blow out water. You can use it or not, but having in your bag could save a dive on a day with brisk seas.

I give up, you are right. There is no need to ever do a surface swim because in Bonaire you don't need to.
Agreed - in my world I see no need for a snorkel unless I am doing a drift dive.

I have asked for other situations (outside of my world) were a snorkel is required. A few responses have provided some situations that make sense to utilize a snorkel. other snarky responses not so much....

I love the closed minds: "I've never had to do this so NO ONE SHOULD EVER DO THIS". Sheesh.

Despite assurances from some to the contrary, there are good dives that benefit from a surface swim. For example, when the alternative is walking full gear 200+ yards along a very, very rocky beach. I'd rather surface swim than twist my ankle any day. Sure, you could swim it underwater, but again I'd prefer to save the gas for the actual dive. (it's muck bottom so nothing much to see).

I still don't use the snorkel on that. I just swim nice and leisurely on my back. Much easier, much more fun. (for me.

Seriously, there are a lot of posters really invested in getting OTHERS to adopt the equipment/ configuration that is appropriate for the POSTERS' diving. There are lots of examples in both directions in this thread (and throughout diving in general it seems).

Have to call out a pretty egregious example, but believe me (and most any California diver), yes, there are GREAT MANY shore dives that greatly benefit from long surface swims. Maybe Im just an air hog, but if the site is 250+ yards (or even just 50 yards) from shore, Id rather use my air on the site, as opposed to traveling to the site.

Additionally, it would take at least twice as long to scuba as opposed to surface swim. I love to scuba, but mostly featureless sand bottoms lose their lustre after awhile. Also, air is cheap, but it isn't free. Im gonna save it for the pretty stuff underwater.

To answer the OP's question.

Locally, I mostly shore dive. I swim on my back, and don't like the snorkel on my mask.. However, I dive with folks who snorkel on the surface, with a permanently attached snorkel. I would HATE that, but it works for them.

I have a pocket snorkel. For my local shore dives, I probably have about a 0.00001% chance of ever needing it, but since I have it for boat dives (where I have maybe a 0.5% chance of ever needing it), may as well bring it along permanently - as someone else stated, it basically lives in my pocket.

I would not question why a cave diver -- or even someone who just hates snorkels and is willing to discount the ~0.5% chance of ever needing it, or has no room in a pocket -- doesn't own a snorkel. I realize folks have different manners of diving.

Last edited:
Whether or not you need a snorkel depends on the conditions. When we've been in Palau and visited Jellyfish Lake, snorkels were really valuable to use. But we were snorkeling, not diving. When we visited friends on their boat in Bonaire and took their Zodiac over to Klein Bonaire, we were getting splashed so hard from waves using a snorkel was to only way to breathe; then when we got to Klein Bonaire, we took our snorkels off our masks and went diving.

I do most of my diving in Southern California, preferably in kelp forests. Snorkels are an entanglement hazard in the kelp, so most divers don't use them. Are you sure your TDI instructor buddy wasn't just pulling your leg when he said a snorkel "has more purposes than just helping you on surface"? I can't imagine how it will help you when you're below the surface, unless you somehow manage to grow gills

I read the OP (that's all since this has been discussed to death to the point it became comical). I started by always using an attached snorkel as per PADI training. Then a few years ago got the foldable pocket snorkel and checked out that it actually could be effectively used--OK--wouldn't want to be at sea 10 hours without it attached. Now I take it if there is a possibility of current changes that could get me in any trouble, if not I don't carry it (ie. I know the site thoroughly). I haven't really had a need for any snorkel in 11+ years. Everyone has their own approach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom