Snorkel a necessity on open water dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have a use for a snorkel, take it. If not, then don't.

I take mine on every dive trip. It sits in the bottom of my dive bag, just in case I need it. Has not been taken out of the dive bag in over 20 years...

And I do see other divers using them. For some strange reason lots of divers delay the start of their dive and snorkel out to the drop off instead of starting the dive right at the dock.

Back in the day I dove in Laguna as well (most assuredly not LA County) and while there were occasional life guards snorkels were never an issue. They did have an ordinance but have since thought better of it.

Must you have one for diving? No place I’ve ever been. But then there is a fool borne every minute.

Don't forget the first rule of internet forums. ... The remainder of us are in the bell curve and couldn't care less.

This being an internet forum I feel compelled to inform you that everybody here is in the bell curve. Some are just closer to average than others.

As others have said, it all depends on how and what you dive.

For modern diving I usually don't use a snorkel. There isn't any part of the plan that requires one.

However, when I am vintage equipment diving I often take one, as the plan often has a place for snorkeling in it.

Without a BC, I can't surface swim on my back, yet don't want to waste air using my reg (mainly because I am using a single 72). I may also want to observe the waters below before descending or travel back along the shoreline where the bottom can be seen using a snorkel.

And to blur the lines a bit more I may wish to do this:

[video=youtube;INFnmBUzbh0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INFnmBUzbh0[/video]

I just got back from Australia, and we were told that a snorkel is required by law when diving the GBR. Carried in the pocket was acceptable.

Without a BC, I can't surface swim on my back, yet don't want to waste air using my reg
Waste air? As my dive buddy points out - there is no refund for bringing back a full tank...

A great many people wear snorkels as a fashion statement, even on land. They can be attached to the side of your glasses or hat, or secured to the side of your head with an elastic band wrapped around one ear. Obviously, only sleekly curved fashionista free diving snorkels should be used this way. Wearing a snorkel with all sorts of protrusions might make you look like a dork.

A great many people wear snorkels as a fashion statement, even on land. They can be attached to the side of your glasses or hat, or secured to the side of your head with an elastic band wrapped around one ear. Obviously, only sleekly curved fashionista free diving snorkels should be used this way. Wearing a snorkel with all sorts of protrusions might make you look like a dork.

Many wear (real?) snorkels on land as a fashion statement? Where are they? I'm 60 and haven't seen one yet, and I grew up a mile from NYC (still visit often) where you tend to see everything.

Many wear (real?) snorkels on land as a fashion statement? Where are they? I'm 60 and haven't seen one yet, and I grew up a mile from NYC (still visit often) where you tend to see everything.

I think you missed the invisible [sarcasm] [/sarcasm] tags.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom