Snorkel a necessity on open water dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always take my snorkle, I don't usually wear it on my mask but tuck it up the right leg of my shortie wetsuit and shove it under my mask strap on ascending ,it's there if i need it.

I've never seen anybody with a snorkel tucked up under the right leg of a shortie before ... but I bet the chicks dig it ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've never seen anybody with a snorkel tucked up under the right leg of a shortie before ... but I bet the chicks dig it ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Headed to the dive shop now.....looking for a longer snorkel.

I bet the chicks dig it ... :wink:

If I were to guess chicks' opinions, based on what has been expressed by some of my female friends, they'd probably think it was a bit too long, and that it should have been a bit thicker.

During some shore dives we did a few years back in SoCal (I want to say this was LA County) snorkels were required and you could be fined for not having one as you sloshed through the surf back to the shore. The shop where we got fills sold fold-able snorkels that met the requirements, though I'm sure I've since lost mine. So in answer to your question, yes, there are snorkel police, depending on where you dive. :wink:

Wow! I didn't know everybody would get so fired up about my question. I like that everybody has strong opinions here on Scubaboard............

Don't forget the first rule of internet forums. You will have two opinions yea or nay and they will be the ones who post. The remainder of us are in the bell curve and couldn't care less.

All surface swims are not equal.

And I never implied they were. For this, I'd where one too. But for bobbing around on the tag line for five minutes waiting on your buddy, you won't use much air at all.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Yup they do…its also been said that Urine is a good mask defogger, and I'm proud to say that at 57 years old i can still defog my mask from 8feet away. Yes the Chicks and EVERYBODY on the Dive boat is usually VERY impressed.:cool2:

During some shore dives we did a few years back in SoCal (I want to say this was LA County) snorkels were required and you could be fined for not having one as you sloshed through the surf back to the shore. The shop where we got fills sold fold-able snorkels that met the requirements, though I'm sure I've since lost mine. So in answer to your question, yes, there are snorkel police, depending on where you dive. :wink:

That's odd I have seen zero scuba police in LA County over the past 15 years and a thousand dives. The rebel band that I dive with never has a snorkel. Either the Sheriff's office has a untapped revenue stream or this is complete nonsense. Where exactly might I find these scuba police?

I think there is an ordinance about snorkels in Laguna, but it's peculiar to there.

I think snorkel use is highly dependent on the environment in which you dive. In Puget Sound, we have smooth water which is opaque; swimming on your stomach is not going to show you anything fun, and further, swimming prone with a negative steel tank on your back isn't particularly easy. Swimming face up puts that negative tank down and allows you to breathe ambient air, so it makes sense.

If you are doing a long surface swim on Maui, you might well WANT to snorkel out, because the clear water will allow you to watch the shallow reef and find cool stuff. I can remember swimming on my back at Old Airport, and having a swimmer yell at us that there were two turtles right underneath us that we didn't know about.

I have been diving for 9 years and have over 1000 dives, and I have two where I've wanted a snorkel . . . and both were because, on the way back to the boat from the dive, we ran into something where we wanted to snorkel. One was a huge pod of dolphins, and the other a bait ball being herded by a group of silkie sharks. I have NEVER wanted a snorkel because of rough surface water conditions (and I have been in some VERY rough surface water conditions).

I personally find a snorkel on my mask to be beyond annoying. It was jettisoned before I ever switched to the long hose configuration. I sometimes carry a rolled-up snorkel in a pocket. They are not terribly good snorkels, but will suffice for those dolphin occasions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom