Snap Bolt size for Primary Reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The size of a bolt snap is typically specified by the inside width of the ring portion. The size of a double ender is typically specified by the overall length.

HTH,
Tom

The size of a bolt snap is typically specified by the inside width of the ring portion. The size of a double ender is typically specified by the overall length.

HTH,
Tom

Is the ring portion the end where the gate is, or are you talking about the end that is the closed loop that is tied through?

Closed loop. The part you tie the cave line around.

Tom

Closed loop. The part you tie the cave line around.

Tom

Thanks for the info, i did not know that.
Interesting, so then it could be possible that ordering a "larger" boltsnap may not increase the gate size (or thumb tab size), and then also not make it any easier to clip off with thicker gloves.

Interesting, so then it could be possible that ordering a "larger" boltsnap may not increase the gate size (or thumb tab size), and then also not make it any easier to clip off with thicker gloves.

Yes that's why the 3/4" size is preferred for deco/stage bottles. Big ring, medium sized hook/gate. You can stick your finger in the ring but the gate isn't so big to double or triple clip into everything else in one big mess. The 1" size has a huge ring but also a giant hook/gate too, that size is too big for anything except maybe a single tank spg. I have one on my single tank rig but its only because I got it years ago and I'm too cheap + lazy to swap it out to something smaller.

I find the 3/4" size way too small to get a finger through. I'm surprised you can manage that with drygloves. The snaps I have, the 1 1/4" gate is the same size as my 3/4" gates, only the ring is larger. I cannot clip a stage bottle without having my finger inside the clip. At least not with drygloves and 400g thinsulate. To me, it doesn't matter what size the gate is, only whether I can support the weight of the stage bottle with my second finger.

BTW, there seem to be about a dozen different manufacturers for this stuff around, all of which make them slightly different dimensions. Some of the rings are round, some teardrop, and some a D-Shaped.

Tom

I guess I got the names wrong.
Nix calls them "34sslr" which I thought meant 3/4" SS large ring but apparently not...

These go on long hoses and SPGs. Although you can also you the midget size if your barehanded.
IMAG003.jpg

These go on stage/deco bottles
IMAG000.jpg

Skip these, you end up clipping everything in a big mess.
IMAG002.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom