Snap Bolt size for Primary Reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonMurray

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What size snap bolt are you using on your primary reg?

I have a difficult time and I wonder if I am just using too small a snap bolt.

Anyone using other than a std snap bolt? boat clip? other variation?

What boltsnap size do you use? What type of difficulties do you experience?

BTW Practice is the solution for all problems :)

I get cold on long dives, should I practice more?

:wink:

I use a 1/2" boltsnap, but in the past I've used 3/4" snaps, and they haven't really gotten in the way.

Tom

I use the 1/2" bolt snap on my primary, even in our cold water with dry gloves.

A lot of clipping off is technique. Often, people are trying to clip off by holding the bolt snap, and that makes it hard. My Fundies instructor showed me how to put the hose itself in the palm of my hand, and wrap my fingers around it to hold the bolt snap. This makes clipping off ridiculously easier.

I use a 1/2" stainless bolt snap for my primary reg, I tried the 3/8" ones but they were (to quote JoeT) "teeny tiny". If you are using 3/8" then, yes, that would probably be too small. 1/2" stainless has been ideal for the diving I do. Also, some cheaper boltsnaps aren't stainless throughout and can start to bind over time. Be sure you are buying the good 100% stainless snaps.

Yes. And if it doesn't kill you it will make you stronger :D

I knew those all night binges in college were a good thing!

Thanks for the feedback.

I will move to 1/2" from 3/8" and see how that works. I don't want too large a snap hanging off my hose...

I was also told that clipping from "underneath" works well (ie. bringing the clip upto the D-ring instead down into the D-ring.) I wonder if that is what you are doing TSandM? I do hold the hose instead of the clip.

I use the 1/2" bolt snap on my primary, even in our cold water with dry gloves.

And with the liners + dry gloves on your hands are STILL smaller than mine :lotsalove:

I think I use the 1/2" (not the 3/8") I can't figure out what those measurements mean anyway. Mine is know to me as the "2nd smallest". The "smallest smallest" is only good for backup lights.

I was also told that clipping from "underneath" works well (ie. bringing the clip upto the D-ring instead down into the D-ring.) I wonder if that is what you are doing TSandM? I do hold the hose instead of the clip.

Yep, clipping "gate facing out" tends to be easier to do. As you bring your hand to the clip, it lets you use a more natural underhand "ice cream scoop" movement to clip/unclip whatever you need.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom