Smugglers @ CSSP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Timeliner:
Ken we gear up on the other side of the lake next to this sign

OK, be sure and leave your ears exposed so your hungry pals can REALLY feast like kings... :shakehead

Deb, I agree with you - I had a perch take a chunk out of my lip last year at cssp and i wasn't in a kissing mood. Just don't want CSSP to turn out like the Oasis on 380 - I've came up with bloody ears more than once diving there. Can't imagine what its like having students there and they're worried enough, much less having fish biting at them. That will give you no repeat business quicker than anything will.

Man, things are different in Texas! I know one person who was bitten on the ear- but the fish just bit him and released.

Most of the time, when I swim around the local hole, the fish will swim with me, as if we are all schooling. Of course, that means that the divers who are following me have to deal with them, but as long as the fish are behind me, it's not my problem. :wink: Hoods and drygloves help a lot. :D

do it easy:
Man, things are different in Texas! I know one person who was bitten on the ear- but the fish just bit him and released.

We don't call them pirhana perch for nothing, easy... :)

do it easy:
I did have one try to eat a loop of cave line while I was practicing with a reel. I guess he thought it was a worm. :D

LOL -- some of them will eat ANYTHING! They're as bad as sharks... :laughing:

NadMat:
Don't you mean 'especially' those Paris, Texas ones too? :D

HEY!!!! I resemble that remark! :kicknut: :mooner: :D

For the record, they aren't perch.

They are sunfish.

Two reasons why there was a thinning last year... one there was too many. It needs to happen periodically. Two... they were too aggressive. Partially from being fed.

TwoBit

scubabum2:
Deb, I agree with you - I had a perch take a chunk out of my lip last year at cssp and i wasn't in a kissing mood. Just don't want CSSP to turn out like the Oasis on 380 - I've came up with bloody ears more than once diving there. Can't imagine what its like having students there and they're worried enough, much less having fish biting at them. That will give you no repeat business quicker than anything will.

Interesting point! The Oasis is now closed. I can not say that will or will not happen but it certainly makes you think twice about going there if another watering hole ever opens up. I usually wear a beanie, but I have nothing to protect my lips ( and I need those)!!!!! I got a PM that Frank did not feed the fish. Ohhhhhh Frankie.......it's time to come clean!!!

I love the cheez whiz bit that sounds fun !
I'm going to Zip-Tie a can of that stuff to my Pig Popper and gas power it with my inflater hose and see how that works. I'll get back to Ya'll with a report.

I sorta feel for the poor dive students who were bit by the perch. (AKA Sunfish) :shakehead

Dang... Debra.. That means just one more freekin' liability form to fill out now when they sign up for a class :rofl3:
It should help with gear sales to new divers. along with mask ,snorkle and fins they will need a kevlar hood and Titanium lip protectors.

Fish nutrition is important. With the new season of plenty going they should be able to survive and thrive. Now that folks are starting to come back to CSSP again I suppose that the fish will have lips and ears to chew on all the time.

Thats what hot dogs are made of anyway isn't it :wink:

Hey I hear somebody ratted me out !!!

Back
Top Bottom