Smoking on a dive boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a REALLY part time smoker, been quitting and starting then quitting then starting forever, I rarely smoke more than a few cigarettes a day. I certainly go out of my way to keep my smoke away from other people as I don't want them to complain about it and then the end result being I can't smoke. Given I smoke so little these days I do understand how bad cigarettes smell to others. Seriously, when you don't smoke that much it tastes as bad as it smells.

I understand why people don't want to be around it but there has to be some sane understanding that if we are smoking on the back of the boat where all the diesel smoke is when the boat is running, you shouldn't be affected or offended. Trust me the diesel smell is worse than the cigarette as you all know. Try getting hauled around a ski area in a sled behind a snowmobile with a broken leg. I almost wanted to get out and walk and was seriously coughing. Given how bad the break was that would have been quite foolish though.

Smoke bothers me but us self righteous North Americans bother me more. Europeans aren't being rude when they smoke near us Americans and Canadians - they just don't think anything of it. Deal with it people. We probably offend them by being fat.
You have NO idea...
Nah, not really. Bit of pity maybe :p

Admit I haven't read all the posts. The OP only asked "how prevelant this is becoming" that is, smoking on dive boats. It has developed into the "them vs. us" thing-Gee, who would've predicted! The question of IF smoking should be allowed on dive boats was beaten to death about 6 months ago on SB. The basic result of that thread was that even smoking at the very back of a boat can cause suffering to those who are SEVERELY allergic to smoke, and annoyance to those (the vast majority, dare I say?) who aren't. Scientific "evidence" was given to explain how smoke--diesel, cigarette, or pipe (my vice)--still gets swirled up due to the shape of the boat and swirling currents at the rear.... Perhaps. I do not smoke at all on a dive boat. I also don't really believe this--and if it is true, what do you do about the diesel smoke anyway? It's a pointless discussion. You can't win.

On the other hand, folks in Asia don't think twice about farting in public either. Do that here and even the smokers will be complaining about it, despite the fact that breathing farts has less of an impact on your health than breathing cigarette smoke.

What's all this about farting in public? Damn!

Being exposed to a lot of smoke was one of my big worries in booking my first Red Sea charter, because we only took half the spots. We were lucky that the other folks on the boat were non-smokers.

I have never encountered any smoking on dive boats on the Pacific Coast, thank goodness.

I personally view smoking much as I view any other behavior that people do that impacts my ability to enjoy my own space. I don't play loud music in an apartment building, or park so I take up two spaces, or cut into lines, or run up to the last minute and then insist on merging . . . Those are all annoying things that people do to other people, and smoking in enclosed areas or upwind of others is another one. My mother was one of those smokers who would get completely bent out of shape if you just asked to change sides of the picnic table with her, and that undoubtedly helped shape my attitude.

any of the boats i have been on is 50/50. If there is an upper deck or an isolated cabin it is allowed. Of course one nut case will always go topside with the smokers to justify thier position of saving the world from evil smokers.

I do not smoke. quit in 97 am glad i did and do not understand why i ever started. But i accept that many do things that do nt agree with my world of right and wrongs and as such i just try to co exist. Every time some woman tells some guy to put his but out i wish i could tell her to scrub off the perfume and putty cause it offends me and it stinks. It never ceases to amaze me that those who live in bad air areas demand the no smoking. If la smog dont kill you then neither is second third forth or fifth hand smoke. People will insist on no smoking but wont give up thier auto emissions fuel refineries, make up, cleansers ect. I guess that they are necessary. It is all pretty hipicritical. Try telling passengers that no one over 160# allowed on board beacause someone may be offended of fat people. No sinkers only floaters allowed on board because some is offendee with implants or just cant afford them for them selves. no average people only hotties allowed on board. no drinkers allowed, no cannon only olympus allowed on board. no one with gear made outside of the use to be good ol usa allowed on board because we dont like that companies work ethics. If anything it is those issues that ruin a dive trip for me. I wonder somtimes just how much stuff we would all have to give up so we can just get along. Surely the waste of fuel for trips to sea for recreational activities has to be high on the list. How much ozone does a dive boat eliminate? One thing for sure is that once you give the govt. the authority to determine your personal behaviors you have opened the pandoras box for them to control all aspects. I know this is just my opinion and everything has thiers. I am willing to co exist untill i am told that ones position superceeds anothers and they must conform to thier preference.

I find that most of my personal-space air that is polluted by ciggarette (sp?) smoke is on the docks before and after the dives, unless it is a small-time charter boat whereas the Captain smokes along with the others (usually DM's lol).

It's not my business what others take into their bodies, but frustrating when you work hard not to sucumb to deadly, unnecessary addictions and you are still subjected to others' habits. I saw a bumpersticker once in LA that said, "If you don't like my smoke then don't breathe". Really??? Not a very wise bumpersticker (or person for that matter).

On a lighter note (no pun intended) I was at a comedy show years ago and the comedian randomly started talking about elevators and the fact that smoking was not allowed on them. Then he says, "who out there does not smoke; let me see a show of hands!" I nievely raised my hand thinking I would not be the only one in the room that didn't smoke and thinking he was going to somehow praise me. He then looks straight at me and says, "well Ms. Non-smoker, since you're so damned healthy, why don't you just take the stairs so the rest of us can smoke on the elevators?". Of course everyone horse-laughed and I just sort of sank down an little (only time in my life I wished I was a smoker and hadn't had to raise that hand).

Such is life, right? I'm not a fanatic, btw, I am just allergic to this certain chemical in cigarettes that I can't even remember what it's called, lol.

Happy and safe diving to all! (And I hope all the smokers out there know how valuable you are and can find a way to quit for your own health and safety; especially as a diver). :)

...Could this explain why the boat is usually empty?
No, but it might explain why it's usually full :)
--
Part of my dive briefing is "if you must smoke or puke please go to the lee gunnel to do it."
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom