Smoking on a dive boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a 21st century problem. As other have alluded to, smoking was much more common a couple of decades ago. In fact the smell of smoke was ever present in most public locations 20 years ago and most people hardly noticed. I was in a bar the other night and the smell of tobacco smoke wafted in from the door outside and several heads started twisting, looking for the culprit.
Boats in Asia seem to have more smokers than in North America.

It's cultural ... in most parts of Asia you're not a man if you don't smoke.

On the other hand, folks in Asia don't think twice about farting in public either. Do that here and even the smokers will be complaining about it, despite the fact that breathing farts has less of an impact on your health than breathing cigarette smoke.

I don't have a problem with smokers ... I just don't want to be forced to share their habit.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I grew up in a home with 2 smoking parents who often had parties and the house was full of smoke. I can no longer tolerate it in my older age (48ish) as my eyes water and get itchy, my throat gets sore and my nasal passages start to inflame. My SAC rates then goes to ****. My allergies make it much worse.

Like NWGD above, I don't have a problem with smokers, I just don't need to be subject to the byproducts of their addiction.

Is there a list of boats that freely allow smoking in the US?

---------- Post added March 29th, 2013 at 02:32 PM ----------

Ban smoking and ban the obese..... both a danger to themselves and others, especially when diving. Or don't.... and mind your own business.

I think that banning the obese or smokers would be a little over the top and not a good idea. Not sure where you were going with that one. The free market will take care of itself and in the case of the boat I am talking about, it apparently already is since it rarely goes out, even when the weather is good. On a beautiful day with calm seas on a Saturday, and the boat is sitting at the dock, there is obviously a problem. The people have spoken. This applies to all businesses.

I been on two dive boats in the Ft. Lauderdale, FL area and one in the Key West. People seemed to be smoking on all three boats. Note that they were at the furthest point at the back of the boat where nobody could possibly smell their smoke (the boat was always moving). I find the smoke Nazi group to be a little obnoxious and selfish. God knows they all have some habit that bothers others. The exhaust from their car on a busy street is likely A LOT worse for you than the tiny bit of second hand smoke you get. Fear the nanny state!!! Vote with your dollars if it bothers you. These operations seemed to be really busy and nobody seemed to care as they were not actually affected except in their head as they couldn't believe someone was smoking even though they couldn't possibly smell it.

Note that I'm sure people were allowed to smoke may have been due to the fact that the DMs were smoking too.

​putting out his cigarette types...

​I have only been on one boat where I saw someone smoking. It was in Key West and I believe it was the Captain and a DM and they were up in the top of the boat.

As a smoker I always find it comical to read/hear the all the stereotypical complaints. My wife and I make it a point to smoke away from others and make sure that our smoke isn't affecting others. It is too bad that the rest of the world doesn't make it such a point to not impact my life in a negative way. I see and hear all sorts of things that I don't like. Maybe you have been able witness rude and pushy behavior by divers and non-divers, see people wash their masks in the camera only bucket, talk over the DM's dive briefing, listen to hungover divers puke and gag on the way to a morning dive, have to step over gear spread out on the deck or maybe even pick up a piece of your gear instead of theirs, etc. etc. All of these things are much more prevalent and relevant as a complaint or issue on dive boats.

I agree with Crass3000 on the nanny state. Just remember, when someone else is picking who to hate...it might be your group next.

​I have only been on one boat where I saw someone smoking. It was in Key West and I believe it was the Captain and a DM and they were up in the top of the boat.

As a smoker I always find it comical to read/hear the all the stereotypical complaints. My wife and I make it a point to smoke away from others and make sure that our smoke isn't affecting others. It is too bad that the rest of the world doesn't make it such a point to not impact my life in a negative way. I see and hear all sorts of things that I don't like. Maybe you have been able witness rude and pushy behavior by divers and non-divers, see people wash their masks in the camera only bucket, talk over the DM's dive briefing, listen to hungover divers puke and gag on the way to a morning dive, have to step over gear spread out on the deck or maybe even pick up a piece of your gear instead of theirs, etc. etc. All of these things are much more prevalent and relevant as a complaint or issue on dive boats.

I agree with Crass3000 on the nanny state. Just remember, when someone else is picking who to hate...it might be your group next.
I agree with you.have people not considered the diesel fumes they inhale on boats?lets ban diesel!the last live aboard I was on,a group of non smokers were passing around something a little stronger than tobacco in a non designated smoking area.i smoke where I'm allowed and am sick of you self righteous,holier than thou whiners.

If people would just follow some simple rules of common sense and courtesy toward others, nanny state wouldn't be either needed or even desireable. It's when people use "well, it's legal" to infringe on others that it becomes necessary to pass or change laws that make it not legal.

Smelling smoke isn't the issue, although to a non-smoker it generally smells disgusting. The issue is that, as a diver, I do not wish to breathe your toxic exhaust ... nor should I be forced to.

When a smoker is respectful enough to show consideration, they get respect from me in return ... because I want them to retain their right to make lifestyle choices. Likewise, I want to be able to retain mine.

And let's remember that cigarette butts are litter. Tossing them in the water, or crushing them on deck is littering. Yet I can't even count the number of times I've seen people do both without a second thought. When you're done with your smoke, kindly dispose of the butt by extinguishing and placing in an appropriate waste receptacle. I and the marine life we're all paying good money to go look at will thank you for it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post added March 29th, 2013 at 02:57 PM ----------

I agree with you.have people not considered the diesel fumes they inhale on boats?lets ban diesel!the last live aboard I was on,a group of non smokers were passing around something a little stronger than tobacco in a non designated smoking area.i smoke where I'm allowed and am sick of you self righteous,holier than thou whiners.

... if you smoke where you're allowed, then you're not the person that folks are whining about ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

All the dive boats Ive been on except two (which was more dinghy than boat) had designated smoking areas. Those areas being away from the dive gear and away from the cabins. Never bothered me although I dont smoke myself, but if someone did smoke right around my dive gear I woulda told them to piss off. I dont need burn marks on my gear and I dont want smoke puffed right into my face..

When we were in Belize (AC) last summer a lady was smoking in the boat during the SI. I thought that was rude. She could've gotten out of the boat and smoked on the dock. It really doesn't matter where a non-smoker is sitting/standing....if a smoker is close buy the non-smoker will smell it....yuk!

Back
Top Bottom