Smoking on a dive boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess that by being a former smoker, I can see both sides of the argument.
Most former smokers are anti-smoking extremists with a holier than thou attitude second to none..

It's be nice to have a list of boats that did not allow smoking at all

I would always choose a non smoking boat

My rebreather is what finally gave me the motivation to stop smoking. I asked my ccr instructor if he would train me as a smoker before i ever bought my rebreather. His answer was "Yes, just as long as You don't smoke for a minimum of 1 hour prior to diving". Those 1 hour periods were total hell and seemed to last for days in my craving little mind.

After I got certified, I shaved off my beard of several decades and quit smoking. Now I not only act like a dive god, but look like one too. :D

Wow, this is the same reason as i used to quit smoking. No instructor imposed any rule on me. Just figured it would make sense to reduce the CO in the loop!
Been 2 years now. Only smoke when i have a drink. Seem to drink a lot more. Also put on 15kg...

Wow, this is the same reason as i used to quit smoking. No instructor imposed any rule on me. Just figured it would make sense to reduce the CO in the loop!
Been 2 years now. Only smoke when i have a drink. Seem to drink a lot more. Also put on 15kg...

Glad I do not smoke. I already drink too much (well according to my dive buddy...where is she? my beer is getting low...)

In response to mdax: a total non smoking boat might be considered Nirvana for some. But as a non smoker I have been happy with the both the day boats and the live aboards I have been on. For the most part, the smokers have respected my desire for clean air. And as noted prior, some of the boats smoke worse than the people.

In general, most people are reasonable. And if they are unaware (as opposed to oblivious), then they quickly and graciously adjust their behaviour.

For me, it is more about the group chemistry, less about personal habits. I would rather be stuck on a boat with a group of "great" nicotine addicts as opposed to a bag of non smoking pylons. (I apologize in advance for my hockey related pylon reference).

There's always a smoker or two on every boat I've been on.
Just as with any smoker, sometimes they are courteous sometimes they are just jerks.

Ive seen where many will get their last smoke in before leaving while on the dock... then wait until after all diving is done to light up again on the boat.
I've seen some divers jump out of the water, and have a smoke before even swapping to their next tank.

Smokers are smokers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom