Smoking on a dive boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I think it is a LOT less cancerous than if you continuously inhale it indoors!

Comparatively true, but we are not talking comparisons. We are talking cumulative effect.

As one former ScubaBoard participant said in his subject line, no drop of water thinks it is responsible for the flood.

Yes, I do think that. Indoors vs. outdoors (especially on a dive boat) is not IMHO at all comparable! We all know second hand smoke may be even worse that smoking it yourself. But I think that referred to years ago when the workplace was full of smoke. You say "every little bit". How little? A few whiffs when the wind blows your way will cause health problems 20 years from now? Yes, I think it is a LOT less cancerous than if you continuously inhale it indoors!

I'm more concerned with the immediate effects of second hand smoke, especially on a dive boat. Even minimal exposure causes my eyes to water and my sinuses to swell and clog. If this occurs prior to my dive it will potentially ruin my dive day by my making it difficult to clear my ears or worse yet resulting in a reverse blockage.

And I don't think the smoker would be inclined to repay me for the lost dive.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

I'm more concerned with the immediate effects of second hand smoke, especially on a dive boat. Even minimal exposure causes my eyes to water and my sinuses to swell and clog. If this occurs prior to my dive it will potentially ruin my dive day by my making it difficult to clear my ears or worse yet resulting in a reverse blockage.

And I don't think the smoker would be inclined to repay me for the lost dive.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

Yes I understand that. Short term irritation, allergy, agony, etc. has been discussed to death here. My recent post (#288) addressed two people who were arguing about the LONG TERM effects and possible DEATH second hand smoke causes as opposed to someone being obese. That point also came up pages ago, but we were on that tangent now.

A ruined dive day and a smoker not repaying you is not a long term health risk. There are points to be made on both sides here as well, plus getting back into whether the boat owner should be allowed to have a smoking or non-smoking boat. And if it is up to the diver to check that out beforehand, etc, etc.

simply not true, something only a smoker would say. Hint: google smoking vs. obesity

Now that is presumptuous. As I pointed out in my scenario.. there is no way the smoker under those circumstances could introduce any thing into the air around the person who thinks they are going to die. Not only that, the smoker cleaned up after himself. Don't blow smoke in my face or throw butts on the deck or into the water. I'm fine with it. I'm 62 and in great shape and intend to stay that way. I have smoked on and off for 45 years... right now I'm off.

Comparatively true, but we are not talking comparisons. We are talking cumulative effect.

As one former ScubaBoard participant said in his subject line, no drop of water thinks it is responsible for the flood.

OK, point taken. I guess I could go back to what else in the air could eventually kill you (to go way back, the diesel fuel smell on dive boats) and compare those drops of water to the one of open air 2nd hand smoke. But we'd just go round & round. Plus I would seriously doubt there is any test data on this to prove either of us right or wrong.

Now that is presumptuous. As I pointed out in my scenario.. there is no way the smoker under those circumstances could introduce any thing into the air around the person who thinks they are going to die.

Apparently you did not read through the thread to see that when an object with a solid front section (like a typical dive boat) is moving through the air, the air circulates around that front section goes back toward the front from the rear. If you are at the stern of a moving dive boat, the smoke drifts into the boat. If you are a small boat with no solid front section, it blows off the back.

This should do it :wink:

rules.jpg

And, as usual, the issue is reduced to personal feelings about odors (etc.) rather than something that has been scientifically proven to kill you.

Smokers, please try to understand this concept: second hand smoke is different from body odor. It seems to be a very difficult concept, but if you really, really try, you might be able to see the difference.

And, as usual, the issue is reduced to personal feelings about odors (etc.) rather than something that has been scientifically proven to kill you.

Smokers, please try to understand this concept: second hand smoke is different from body odor. It seems to be a very difficult concept, but if you really, really try, you might be able to see the difference.

Of course I am just poking fun at all this hubub with the sign but everyone should try to understand this concept:
The issue is reduced to the feelings and beliefs of one person.. The Boat Owner!
The argument about second hand smoke from the back of the boat will not be agreed upon.
So my question is: How prevalent is this becoming and is anyone aware of any boats that allow this? In recent years, most boats won't even allow you to smoke at the dock, let alone on the boat at all. Could this explain why the boat is usually empty?

To answer the original question, I have seen smoking on a lot of larger boats and not often but a few times on smaller six-packs ( panga's) boats. The rules of the boat are up to the owner and Captain so if a particular behavior (like smoking) is a big deal to you I suggest talking to the dive operator about it before you sign up, if they can not accommodate your needs choose one that can.

Last edited:
Of course I am just poking fun at all this hubub with the sign but everyone should try to understand this concept:
The issue is reduced to the feelings and beliefs of one person.. The Boat Owner!
The argument about second hand from the back of the boat will not be agreed upon.

To answer the original question, I have seen smoking on a lot of larger boats and not often but a few times on smaller six-packs ( panga's) boats. The rules of the boat are up to the owner and Captain so if a particular behavior (like smoking) is a big deal to you I suggest talking to the dive operator about it before you sign up, if they can not accommodate your needs choose one that can.

Makes sense to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom