Smoking and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I DON'T SMOKE AND I DON'T CHEW
AND I DON'T DIVE WITH THOSE WHO DO...

Smoking cigarettes and cigars was promoted and socially acceptable in the US until the Surgeon General of the US declared that "Smoking was harmful to your health" and required warning labels on tobacco packages,

In WW11 (1941 to 1945- in case you forgot) and the Korean "Conflict " (1950 to present- ) those who steped forward or was drafted into the service of the US were served meals called "C rations" which included a small cute little box of 4 cigarettes- Smoking was socially acceptable and promoted by the US government. During that era it was common to see movies with the stars smoking, open any magazine and see full page advertisements for cigarettes, turn on the TV and be exposed to a cigarette snippet .

Then the Surgeon General of the US declared that "Smoking was harmful to your health" and required warning labels on tobacco packages,

I never smoked-- primarily due to a religious tenant but I strongly suspect I would never have smoked

So there !

Sam Miller, 111

@Efka76 , if you hate smoking that much, you should join GUE. They do not allow their divers to smoke.
.[/QUOTE]

Smoking is highly frowned upon and deterred by the priniciples of GUE. Joining GUE doesn't stop smoking. Every single Russian GUE diver I've been around in Europe smokes like a chimney, including instructors.

I have never smoked. But I don't care if somebody smokes on a boat, its open air and it doesn't bother me.
Inside a restaurant, yes it bothers me.

I quit smoking over 40 years ago... otherwise I might not be diving today.

I am bothered when the smoke from smokers enters my space but if they are far enough away from me that it doesn't affect me, I accept it. Personally I think smoking is one of the most stupid habits people take up.

On the 17 of October 2018, smoking marijuana will be 100 % legal across Canada from coast to coast. So, if it's the tobacco smoke that bothers you, you can always consider moving here. :wink:

OTOH, from a cardiovascular and respiratory point of view, 1 joint = 5 cigarettes.

Most of the people who dive here (including instructors) smoke. Personally I don't. Mostly people have been courteous enough to ask me if I minded if they smoked or moved downwind so the smoke goes away from me. Never had someone try smoking on a speedboat though.

On the 17 of October 2018, smoking marijuana will be 100 % legal across Canada from coast to coast. So, if it's the tobacco smoke that bothers you, you can always consider moving here. :wink:

OTOH, from a cardiovascular and respiratory point of view, 1 joint = 5 cigarettes.

*Sigh*

After so many years of hard work to persuade people to quit smoking, now this...

I normally sit at the back of the boat as it's the most comfortable place to be when bouncing over waves. Unfortunately this is where all the smokers sit too, and despite my protestations they still light up.
That is due to the FALSE belief that the smoke goes off the back of the boat as it travels. If it is an open motorboat with no forward structure, that is what will happen, but if it has any forward structure, the wind is diverted over the structure and then curls around to blow the smoke back into the boat. Think what happens to the back window of a SUV if you are driving through rain or on a dusty road.

@Dr bill
As some of the readers may not knw my best friend & diving buddy for over 50 - approaching 60 years was Ron Merker, you basic dive instructor who had you as student in 1969--49 years ago - time flies doesn't it?

Ron and I were from the same backgrounds and were opposed to smoking, drinking and going with girls who do..'( and certainly didn't marry our wives who also didn't smoke)

One day we were in front of his Newport beach dive shop. A young fellow came by smoking,

Ron asked if he had a cigarette ? (I was dumb founded ! Ron Smoking ?) The young fellow replied affirmative and pulled out a package and gave a cigarette to Ron.

Ron proceeded in examining the cigarette as if a monkey with a new toy, then proceed to dismantling the cigarette .

The youngster looked at Ron with disbelief and exclaimed "What are you doing ?

Ron replied to the effect " I forgot ! I am supposed to burn it first-- do you have another one for me to burn?

The kid walked away with a confused look but with a lesson of how foolish the smoking habit was...

Thozzz were the dazzz

I miss Ron and drinking "Frosty" root beers or if available "Dad Old Fashioned" root beer after a day of diving ... neither which are no longer available in SoCal-- Are these brands available in your area? PM me if the are

Sam Miller, III

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom